For the crust
- 1 tbsp ground flax (see notes for AIP option)
- 5 tbsp water, divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the toppings
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flax with 3 tbsp water in a large bowl. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut flour, arrowroot starch, and baking soda to the bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the remainder of the crust ingredients and stir until a dough forms.
- Add the dough to the baking sheet and flatten it into a long oval crust.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully (don’t burn yourself!) top with the dairy-free cheese, spreading into an even layer. Add the apple slices, making sure the apples don’t overlap and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before topping with arugula, prosciutto, olive oil, balsamic glaze and pepper. Slice and serve fresh.
- For AIP omit pepper and DF cheese. Swap the flax egg for a gelatin egg. Add 1/4 cup water to a small saucepot and slowly pour over 1 tbsp gelatin. Allow it to harden. Place the pot on the stove and turn it on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin (this will take just a minute) and remove from heat. Vigorously whisk the gelatin egg until it becomes frothy. Add the gelatin egg to the crust ingredients immediately and combine.
- All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: global
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 23.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 7.3g
Keywords: apple flatbread