Gluten-Free Apple Balsamic Flatbread
This gluten-free apple balsamic flatbread is the perfect fall appetizer! The crust is grain free and this recipe can easily be adapted to be AIP.
Flatbread is a superior appetizer! I used to love ordering flatbreads at restaurants, and there are so many different ways you can enjoy it! I developed this recipe for a flatbread crust a while back, and decided to turn it into the perfect fall appetizer! This flatbread is made with apples for the perfect fall flavor. It’s a great appetizer for a fancier meal or dinner party, or you can simply make it as a main dish and eat it like a pizza!
The Ingredients for the Apple Balsamic Flatbread
- Coconut Flour. I haven’t successfully made this recipe coconut free.
- Arrowroot Starch. Tapioca starch will also work.
- Goat Cheese or Dairy-Free Cheese Spread like Kite Hill. You can actually leave out the cheese altogether and just go with the toppings, but obviously, the cheesy flavor adds something special!
- Ground Flax and Water. For AIP, you can use a gelatin egg and it works just as well!
- Baking Soda, Olive Oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar. These ingredients also help make the flatbread.
- Honeycrisp Apple, Arugula, and Prosciutto. These make delicious toppings for the flatbread!
- Balsamic Glaze. I recommend a recipe like this.
- Olive Oil and Cracked Pepper. For topping the flatbread!
How to make Gluten-Free Apple Balsamic Flatbread
- Step One. Combine the ingredients for the dough and form into a crust. Add the dough to the baking sheet and flatten it into a long oval crust.
- Step Two. Transfer to the oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- Step Three. Remove from the oven and carefully (don’t burn yourself!) top with the dairy-free cheese and apples. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Step Four. Add toppings and serve!
Tips & tricks
- Don’t skip parbaking the crust. This is a common mistake I see with baking recipes like this that can make them soggy. Make sure the crust is baked for a few minutes before you add the apples!
- Slice your apples really thin. This helps to make them just barely soft so they’re not crunchy, but not mushy.
How to make this recipe AIP
- Use a gelatin egg instead of a flax egg. I’ve tested it and it works just as well!
- Omit the dairy-free cheese. The recipe still tastes good without it!
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
You can make the crust ahead of time, but I would wait to add the toppings to ensure they stay fresh.
You’ll also like…Print
For the crust
- 1 tbsp ground flax (see notes for AIP option)
- 5 tbsp water, divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the toppings
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flax with 3 tbsp water in a large bowl. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut flour, arrowroot starch, and baking soda to the bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the remainder of the crust ingredients and stir until a dough forms.
- Add the dough to the baking sheet and flatten it into a long oval crust.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully (don’t burn yourself!) top with the dairy-free cheese, spreading into an even layer. Add the apple slices, making sure the apples don’t overlap and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before topping with arugula, prosciutto, olive oil, balsamic glaze and pepper. Slice and serve fresh.
- For AIP omit pepper and DF cheese. Swap the flax egg for a gelatin egg. Add 1/4 cup water to a small saucepot and slowly pour over 1 tbsp gelatin. Allow it to harden. Place the pot on the stove and turn it on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin (this will take just a minute) and remove from heat. Vigorously whisk the gelatin egg until it becomes frothy. Add the gelatin egg to the crust ingredients immediately and combine.
- All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: global
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 23.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 7.3g
Keywords: apple flatbread