Sloppy Joe Pasta Casserole (Gluten-free)
This sloppy joe pasta casserole is a no-boil pasta baked and made with sloppy joe-style flavors! This version is gluten-free and easy to make.
Sloppy Joe is an American classic that’s made with ground beef and typically eaten as a sandwich. It’s comforting, nostalgic, and delicious! This version is a different take on the classic, made into a casserole with pasta.
The Ingredients for the Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Gluten-Free Pasta. I personally love the Jovial rice pasta! You can use grain free pasta, but follow the notes of the recipe.
- Ground Beef. You’ll want to cook the ground beef beforehand.
- Tomato Sauce. You can sub this sauce for nightshade-free. Keep in mind that the color may vary.
- Coconut Sugar and Coconut Aminos. This is what adds the sloppy joe flavor!
- Chicken Broth. This adds much more flavor than just water.
- Frozen Mixed Veggies. I use frozen peas and carrots.
- Shredded Cheese. You can substitute dairy-free cheese or omit for DF!
- Green Onion. This is to top the pasta bake.
How to make Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Step One. Cook the ground beef and onion.
- Step Two. Add the pasta, cooked ground beef, frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato sauce, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, and seasonings to the casserole dish. Stir to combine, making sure that the pasta is mostly covered by the liquid.
- Step Three. Cover the casserole dish and bake.
- Step Four. Top with cheese if desired and melt the cheese in the oven.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE WITHOUT THE CHEESE?
This recipe is definitely better with cheese, but if you’re dairy-free you can…
- Omit the cheese
- Use a vegan cheese
- Stir in nutritional yeast to the pasta to give it a cheesy flavor
Can you make this pasta without the beef?
You can also use ground turkey instead!
CAN YOU USE GRAIN-FREE CASSAVA PASTA FOR THIS RECIPE?
You can, though it does stick a lot more than the regular pasta, so be sure to grease the dish very well, and reduce the cooking time a bit.
You’ll also like…Print
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 12 oz gluten-free pasta (sub cassava pasta for AIP, see notes)
- 1/3 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I use peas and carrots)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (sub 2 cups this sauce for nightshade free)
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (sub dairy-free cheese or omit for DF)
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a 9×13″ casserole dish with olive oil.
- Using a large pan, preheat to medium heat and add the ground beef and onion. Season and crumble until the ground beef is cooked. Drain the excess fat.
- Add the pasta, cooked ground beef, frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato sauce, broth, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, and seasonings to the casserole dish. Stir to combine, making sure that the pasta is mostly covered by the liquid.
- Cover the casserole dish and transfer to the oven. Allow to bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir the pasta. Top with cheese if desired and return to the oven for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with chopped green onion.
For AIP, use nightshade-free sauce, omit the peas, and use grain-free pasta. You can use cassava pasta, though it does stick a lot more than the regular pasta, so be sure to grease the dish very well and reduce the cook time by about 5 minutes.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 14.3g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 32.3g
Keywords: sloppy joe casserole