This paleo egg roll soup is a nourishing a delicious cold-weather dish that features all of the flavors of an egg roll without the wrapper! It’s AIP, and Whole30 compliant.
Is there anything more comforting than soup? It’s warm, soothing, filling, and just all around perfect for this time of year. How about add one more layer of comfort food with a takeout dupe? Takeout may scream nostalgic comfort food more to me than soup does. We were always getting Chinese takeout, or picking up a hot pizza pie on the way home when I was a kid. Now that my takeout days are far behind me and soup is my main comfort food, I decided to marry the two with this paleo egg roll soup!
This recipe was inspired by the popular paleo riff on the egg roll, the egg roll in a bowl recipe. It’s a cost-effective and easy meal, and has been a reader favorite as well as a Hoover household favorite! Honestly, this recipe is comforting enough on its own, but it’s hard to get enough soup these days! Having this as a soup makes it far more warming than eating it as one pan meal alone, and it adds the benefit of using a healing homemade broth if you desire!
The Ingredients You’ll Need for this Egg Roll Soup
You can use a homemade broth (which I always love) or whichever broth is your favorite.
I’m used to using ground pork for this recipe, but you can easily use other meats. I would suggest ground chicken as the next best thing for this recipe.
I’m obsessed with cabbage. It’s cheap, it’s nutrient-dense, and it cooks fast! Yes, you can buy a pre-made coleslaw mix to make this recipe even easier, but I prefer the texture and flavor from a fresh, whole cabbage.
Carrots, onion, and green onion
The rest of the veggies to round out the egg roll flavor.
Ginger and coconut aminos
Coconut aminos is the soy sauce substitute in this dish. Ginger adds a bit of a spicy kick.
If you like this recipe, you may also like…Print
This egg roll soup is a warming and comforting dish that has all of the flavors of an egg roll!
- 1 lb ground pork (see above for substitutions)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (sub sesame oil for non-AIP/if tolerated)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 small green cabbage, sliced into strips
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 -1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Optional- Siracha to taste (omit for AIP)
- Using a large pot, brown the ground pork on medium heat. Set aside when cooked and discard the fat.
- Melt the coconut oil in the pot on medium heat and add the diced onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until lightly translucent.
- Add the carrot and gently saute for a few minutes until the carrots soften slightly.
- Pour in the broth, cabbage, cooked pork, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and grated ginger and mix well to combine.
- Bring the soup to a low simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cabbage is wilted.
- Season further to taste and top the soup with sliced green onion to serve.