Easy Egg Roll In a Bowl (Whole30, Keto, Paleo)
This post contains affiliate links.
This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe brings back all of the flavor and nostalgia you love about egg rolls without the wrapper! It’s paleo, whole30, AIP, and keto.
What is an egg roll in a bowl?
I haven’t had an egg roll in years… until I became acquainted with the idea of an egg roll in a bowl. All of the flavor of egg rolls but without the fried wrapper! This dish features everything you love about egg rolls, but cooked in a skillet and served in a bowl without the wrapper.
You may be thinking, what an egg roll without the wrapper? And I hear you! But this dish has so much to offer. It’s nutrient-dense, easy, delicious, and tastes so much like egg rolls that you know and love. Trust me, you’re going to love it just as much as the classic, if not more.
The Ingredients You Need for The Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Coleslaw mix. Grab a prepped coleslaw mix at the store that features shredded green cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded carrots for a short cut. If this isn’t accessible for you, you can easily buy these ingredients separately.
- White and green onion. White onion is in the base, and green onion is used as a garnish.
- Ground pork (or other protein). Pork is what I’m used to in an egg roll, but you can easily swap out something like ground beef, chicken, or even turkey.
- Sesame oil (or coconut). You can easily sub coconut oil if you’re AIP!
- Ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper. These add the classic flavors that you would find with an egg roll. Omit the pepper for AIP.
- Apple cider vinegar and coconut aminos. You can also use rice wine vinegar if you tolerate it. Coconut aminos is the soy sauce substitute.
- For the sauce… For the sauce, you’ll need coconut cream, coconut aminos, ginger, salt, and apple cider vinegar.
Does an egg roll in a bowl have egg in it?
It doesn’t! Egg rolls get their name from their egg wrapper and not egg in a filling. However, you could totally add egg to the filling if you’d like to!
How to make egg roll in a bowl
- Brown the protein: In a large skillet, brown the pork on medium heat and lightly season with salt and pepper. Set aside and discard the fat.
- Cook the vegetables: Using the same skillet, heat the oil on medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger until fragrant and the onion is translucent. Pour in the coleslaw mix as well as the apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the cabbage reduces in size and the carrots soften.
- Combine: Reincorporate the cooked pork and stir to combine. Saute for another minute to reheat. Remove from heat and top with green onion and optional garlic cream sauce,
Can you make this egg roll in a bowl ahead of time? How do you store it?
This egg roll in a bowl is perfect for batch cooking! Make it on Sunday and store it in separate Tupperware containers to make a quick and easy grab and go lunch. Serve the sauce on the side if you plan to meal prep it.
Can you make an egg roll in a bowl with ground turkey?
Yes! You can easily switch up the proteins in this recipe and use something like ground turkey, ground chicken or ground beef.
How to make this a keto egg roll in a bowl…
- Be careful with the carrots. Make sure you don’t use a coleslaw mix that has a ton of carrots as it may be too much sugar.
- Double-check your coconut aminos Some have more sugar than others.
If you like this recipe, you may also like…
If you try this recipe out, be sure to leave a comment with a star rating to let me know how it turns out! Your feedback is so helpful to me and other Unbound Wellness readers!Print
This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe brings back all of the flavor and nostalgia you love about egg rolls without the wrapper!
For The Egg Roll In a Bowl
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (or coconut oil for AIP)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 12 oz coleslaw mix
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
For the sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Pinch of sea salt
For the egg roll in a bowl
- In a large skillet, brown the pork on medium heat and lightly season with salt and pepper. Once cooked, set aside. Discard the fat.
- Using the same skillet, heat the oil on medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant and the onion is translucent.
- Pour in the coleslaw mix as well as the apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos. Season with the remainder of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the cabbage reduces in size and the carrots soften.
- Reincorporate the cooked pork and stir to combine. Saute for another minute to reheat.
- Remove from heat and topped with green onion and optional sauce (see below).
For the optional sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Serve over the bowls.
All nutrition facts are estimations and will vary.
The photos of this recipe and all written content on my website are copyright protected and cannot be copied or shared. Please do not copy this recipe or photos and share it on your own website, Instagram, or other written materials. If you’d like to feature a photo in a roundup, please contact me. If you’d like to tell people about this recipe on social media, your own website, or elsewhere please link back to the recipe here rather than copy and pasting. Thank you so much!!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: one pan
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: asian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 351
- Fat: 15.8g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 38.2g
Keywords: egg roll in a bowl
This recipe first appeared on Unbound Wellness in January of 2018 and was updated in March of 2019 with new photos.