These gluten-free black-and-white cookies taste just like the New York classic! They’re grain-free, dairy-free, vegan, and are made with that signature black and white glaze.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted (sub coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the icing
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a large bowl, combine the flax and water. Allow to sit and thicken for 5 minutes. Add the ghee, vanilla, and maple syrup and stir into the flax mixture and stir combine.
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot, and baking powder in a separate bowl, then add to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir to combine until a dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop (or your hands) to scoop large cookies. Add to the baking sheet and slightly flatten with your hands. You should have about 8 cookies.
- Transfer the baking sheet in the oven and allow to bake for 15 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and combine it with the dairy-free milk until a smooth icing forms. Add more milk or sugar if a different consistency is desired.
- Transfer half of the icing to another bowl and stir in the cocoa powder to make the chocolate icing.
- Once the cookies are cooled, carefully spread the white icing onto one half of each cookie. Transfer to the fridge to allow to set for about 10 minutes. Remove and repeat with the chocolate icing. Allow to set and serve!