This Greek Tomato Beef Stew is a hearty and comforting cool-weather dish. It’s paleo and can be made to be whole30 and AIP compliant.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white sweet potato, chopped (sub orange sweet potato)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth
- 14 0z can of diced tomatoes with sauce (sub 1 3/4 cup nomato sauce for AIP)
- 1/2 cup red wine (sub broth for whole30, see notes for AIP)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Using a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the stew meat and lightly season with salt. Saute until browned and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and cook for another 3-4 minutes to allow to slightly soften.
- Pour in the broth, tomato (or alternative) and red wine and stir well to combine. Season with additional salt, pepper, cloves, and place in the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Bring the soup to a low simmer and allow to simmer for 60-90 minutes, stirring often, until the beef is fully cooked through and tender and the vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves and serve topped with fresh parsley. Enjoy as a stew, or serve over a starch of your choice like rice (or cauliflower rice) or a mashed root vegetable.
Wine is not AIP, but the alcohol will cook off. Regardless, sub broth is you’d choose to forgo it.
To modify for the slow cooker, cook for 8 hours or until the until the beef is fully cooked through and tender and the vegetables are fork tender.
To modify for the instant pot, use about 1/2-1 cup less of broth and use the “stew” function to cook.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Greek Inspired
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 299
- Fat: 13.3g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 27g