Temaki-style handroll is the easiest way to make sushi at home, and this step-by-step guide will show you exactly what to do!
For the sushi rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
For the hand roll
- 6 nori sheets
- Wasabi (optional)
- Sashimi grade salmon, sliced thin (optional, you can also just make veggie rolls)
- 2 carrots, julienned thin
- 2 cucumbers, julienned thin
- 1–2 avocados, sliced thin
- Sesame seeds
- Rinse the sushi rice until the water runs clear. Cook the sushi rice according to the package instructions. 1 cup of uncooked rice will yield about 3 cups of cooked rice. Transfer the cooked rice to a shallow bowl Salt the rice and add the vinegar. Toss and set aside and allow to cool while you gather the ingredients for the roll.
- Slice the nori sheets in half. You should have 12.
- Working with one nori sheet at a time, add about 1/4 cup of rice to the left half of the sheet. Spread a thin layer of wasabi onto the rice if desired.
- Place the sashimi-grade fish diagonally onto the rice, towards the center. Add a few pieces of cucumber, carrot, and avocado next to the sashimi. Add sesame seeds if desired.
- Fold the bottom left corner over the sashimi and vegetables, and use your finger to hold it closed. Fold in the longer end of the nori to form the handroll.
- Repeat with all of the ingredients and serve with sauces as desired.
- To make veggie rolls- If you can’t find sashimi-grade fish, you can easily just make veggie rolls with carrots, cucumber, and avocado.
- Swapping out the salmon- Sashimi-grade ahi tuna would be a great swap for salmon.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Dishes
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Hand roll, temaki hand roll