For the dairy-free ricotta (Optional. Omit for Whole30)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp gelatin
For the soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 4 cups broth
- 1 cup sugar-free tomato sauce (sub nightshade free sauce for AIP)
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
For the ricotta
- Combine all of the ingredients (reserving the gelatin) in a medium sauce pan on low heat. Allow to heat for 5 minutes or so before adding the gelatin. Mix vigorously.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before pouring into a lined container like a glass pyrex lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge for about 2 hours to solidify.
For the soup
- Using a large stockpot, heat the olive oil on low heat and add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the stock pot and season with salt, oregano, pepper, and parsley. Brown the ground beef and discard the majority of the fat.
- Add the broth and sauce and stir well to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes to allow to thicken.
- While the soup is simmering, slice the ends off the zucchini and slice them in half down the middle. Using a mandolin slicer or a knife to slice thin strips of zucchini.
- Add the zucchini strips to the soup and simmer for another 5 minutes or so to let the zucchini soften. Stir in the spinach at the last minute to allow to wilt.
- Allow the soup to slightly cool before topping with optional dairy-free ricotta and basil. Note that the ricotta will melt in hot soup… but it only makes it creamier!
To make this soup in the Instant Pot follow soup instruction 1-2 above using the saute function on the instant pot. Next stir in the broth, sauce, herbs, and zucchini. Lock the lid onto the instant pot and set to low pressure for 5 minutes. Quick release the pressure and serve!
- Cuisine: Italian