- 3/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch (sub arrowroot)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- FOR THE GELATIN EGG (sub 1 regular egg if tolerated)
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- FOR THE OPTIONAL FROSTING (I also suggest this recipe , or this brand )
- 1/4 cup palm shortening
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (sub carob for AIP)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a silicone donut pan
- Combine the tigernut flour, coconut flour, and tapioca starch in a large mixing and sift together
- Add in the maple syrup, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, and baking powder and stir well to combine
- For the gelatin egg (sub 1 regular egg if tolerated) place a small pot on the stove with 1/4 cup of water and lightly sprinkle in the 1 tbsp of gelatin. You don’t want any clumps. Allow the gelatin to bloom for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the stove on low heat to let the gelatin melt. This will take 1-2 minutes. Don’t let it burn!
- Remove the mixture from the stove and use a whisk or immersion blender to vigorously whisk the mixture until it’s frothy.
- Add the gelatin egg (or regular egg) to the pumpkin mixture and stir together immediately.
- Scoop the mixture into the donut pan (you should have 3 regular sized donuts or 4-5 mini donuts) and spread evenly to prevent breaking.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes in the silicone pan. After slightly cooled, place a cooling rack (or a plate) on top of the donut pan and flip it upside down to remove the donuts. Picking at them or scooping them out with a spoon may break them.
- Allow the donuts to cool for another 10-15 minutes on the cooling rack.
- For the optional frosting, whisk together the ingredients vigorously in a small mixing bowl until combined. Spread on the frosting once the donuts are cooled to the touch.
- Serving Size: Makes 3 donuts (or 5-6 mini donuts)