This slow cooker Indian butter chicken is an easy and flavorful recipe that can be made into a speedy freezer meal! This recipe is paleo, whole30, and can be made AIP.
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 1/2 cup tomato sauce (sub nomato sauce for AIP)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp ghee, melted (sub melted coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (omit for AIP, sub more ginger for more spice)
- 1 tsp chili powder (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp garam masala (omit for AIP)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, ghee and seasonings (reserving the cilantro) and stir well to thoroughly coat the chicken.
- Set the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 1/2-2 hours or low for 4-6 hours, ensuring that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Stir in the coconut cream and lime juice. Stir until melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro with a side of rice or cauliflower rice.
To adapt for the freezer, add all of the ingredients (reserving ghee, coconut cream and cilantro to serve) to a freezer safe bag and freeze for 2-3 months. Allow to defrost fully and cook as directed.
To adapt for the instant pot, use the poultry setting and ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 40.2g
Keywords: slow cooker butter chicken