This Zuppa Toscana is serious comfort food! It’s a classic copycat made gluten-free, paleo, whole30, and AIP.
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (use this for AIP )
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups white sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed and chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley (plus extra for garnish)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the bacon. Cook until crispy and set aside, leaving the fat in the pot.
- Keeping the instant pot on sauté, add the onion and garlic to the bacon fat and cook sauté for 5-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in the ground sausage and sauté until cooked through. Remove some of the fat.
- Turn the instant pot off sauté and pour in the chicken broth, coconut milk, diced sweet potato, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid onto the instant pot and set to 13 minutes on high. After the instant pot comes to pressure soup is done, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove the lid and add in the kale and parsley and allow to wilt in the hot soup.
- Serve topped with bacon and extra parsley.
If not using an instant pot, follow all of the instructions exactly the same, using a large dutch oven or pot to sauté the initial ingredients. Then, double the cooking time of the soup on the stove, or wait until potatoes are softened.
For AIP Italian Sausage: 1 lb. ground pork; 1 tsp each dried parsley, basil, & oregano; 1/2 tsp each thyme, garlic & onion powders, sea salt, & optional coarse-ground black pepper.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 827
- Fat: 65g
- Carbohydrates: 34.6g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 27.5g