- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (use this for AIP )
- 6–7 slice of bacon, chopped
- 4 large white sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (see above for substitutions)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cloves or garlic, minced
- 3 tsp fresh Italian parsley (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the bacon. Cook until crispy and set aside, leaving the fat in the pot.
- Keeping the instant pot on sauté, add the onion to the bacon fat and cook sauté for 5-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic for 3-4 minutes of until fragrant.
- Add in the ground sausage and sauté until cooked through. Remove some fat if desired.
- Turn the instant pot off sauté and pour in the chicken bone broth, coconut milk, salt, pepper and diced sweet potato. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid onto the instant pot and set to 13 minutes on high.
- After the soup is done, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove the lid and add in the kale and parsley and allow to wilt in the hot soup.
- Serve topped with bacon and extra parsley.
If not using an instant pot, follow all of the instructions exactly the same, using a large dutch oven or pot to sauté the initial ingredients. Then, double the cook time of the soup on the stove, or wait until potatoes are softened.
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian