- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (use this for AIP )
- 6–7 slice of bacon, chopped
- 4 large white sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (see above for substitutions)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch of kale, destemmed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tsp fresh Italian parsley (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the bacon. Cook until crispy and set aside, leaving the fat in the pot.
- Keeping the instant pot on sauté, add the onion to the bacon fat and cook sauté for 5-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic for 3-4 minutes of until fragrant.
- Add in the ground sausage and sauté until cooked through. Remove some fat if desired.
- Turn the instant pot off sauté and pour in the chicken bone broth, coconut milk, salt, pepper and diced sweet potato. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid onto the instant pot and set to 13 minutes on high.
- After the soup is done, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove the lid and add in the kale and parsley and allow to wilt in the hot soup.
- Serve topped with bacon and extra parsley.
If not using an instant pot, follow all of the instructions exactly the same, using a large dutch oven or pot to sauté the initial ingredients. Then, double the cook time of the soup on the stove, or wait until potatoes are softened.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 827
- Fat: 65g
- Carbohydrates: 34.6g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 27.5g