For the whoopie pies
- 1 small beet, peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (sub carob powder for AIP)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp palm shortening
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the cream filling
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
- 1 tbsp light colored honey/maple syrup for vegan (see notes)
- Add the beet to a medium-sized pot and cover with water. Bring to a low boil for 25-30 minutes or until the beet is soft. Drain the excess water and allow the beet to cool before using a blender to puree. Add 1 tbsp of water if needed. Scoop out 2 tbsp of the beet puree to use in the cookies. See notes for leftovers.
- Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Using a medium-sized bowl, mix the coconut flour, arrowroot, cocoa powder, and baking soda until well combined.
- Mix in the beet puree, palm shortening, and maple syrup. Stir until the dough is fully combined.
- Scoop 1 tbsp of the cookie dough onto the baking sheet and use the palm of your hand to flatten into a cookie. Repeat the process for the rest of the dough. You should have about 12 cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Carefully move to a cooling rack and allow to cool. These cookies will easily break if not cooled.
- Prepare the cream filling by whisking together the shortening and sweetener.
- Once the cookies have cooled, add a spoonful of cream filling to the bottom of a cookie and sandwich it with another cookie. Repeat for 6 whoopie pies total.
- Chill in the refrigerator to set the frosting before serving (preferred) or eat immediately for a smoother frosting.
If you have any leftover beet puree, save it to add to soups or smoothies. It’s incredibly nutrient dense!
All nutrition facts are estimations and will vary.
For the cream filling, the honey yields a better color for the cream. However, you can also use maple syrup if you’re sharing with vegan friends.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 whoopie pie
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 26.9g
- Carbohydrates: 23.8g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 2.4g
Keywords: red velvet, whoopie pies