- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 12 oz gluten-free pasta (sub cassava pasta for AIP, see notes)
- 1/3 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I use peas and carrots)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (sub 2 cups this sauce for nightshade free)
- 3 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (sub dairy-free cheese or omit for DF)
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a 9×13″ casserole dish with olive oil.
- Using a large pan, preheat to medium heat and add the ground beef and onion. Season and crumble until the ground beef is cooked. Drain the excess fat.
- Add the pasta, cooked ground beef, frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato sauce, broth, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, and seasonings to the casserole dish. Stir to combine, making sure that the pasta is mostly covered by the liquid.
- Cover the casserole dish and transfer to the oven. Allow to bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir the pasta. Top with cheese if desired and return to the oven for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with chopped green onion.
For AIP, use nightshade-free sauce, omit the peas, and use grain-free pasta. You can use cassava pasta, though it does stick a lot more than the regular pasta, so be sure to grease the dish very well and reduce the cook time by about 5 minutes.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 14.3g
- Carbohydrates: 37.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 32.3g
Keywords: sloppy joe casserole