- 2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 2 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Optional to thicken the liquid
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 tsp water
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Using a large, deep skillet, heat about 2 tbsp of avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken skin side down and sear for 4-6 minutes or until the skin is crisp and no longer sticks. Sear for another few minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the chicken to the base of the slow cooker. Add the vegetables and seasonings. Toss to combine and add the broth, balsamic vinegar, and avocado oil.
- Add the lid to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4.5-5 hours or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce, combine the arrowroot and water and pour it into the slow cooker. Stir and allow to thicken over 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken over the vegetables with parsley and spoon over some of the cooking liquid.
You can also use boneless skin-less chicken thighs, but you’ll skip the searing in the pan and will likely have to cook the chicken longer in the slow cooker.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: slow cooker
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 21.9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 34.8
Keywords: slow cooker balsamic chicken, balsamic chicken thighs