Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken & Vegetables
This balsamic chicken and vegetable dish is made in the slow cooker for the perfect weeknight meal or stress-free meal prep! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and can be made AIP.
There’s nothing like a slow cooker meal for those busy weeknights! They’re easy, and comforting, and the clean-up is straightforward. Not every slow cooker meal is healthy, and many come loaded with cream cheese and dairy, but this one is packed with vegetables and totally dairy free!
This slow cooker balsamic chicken and vegetables is the perfect comforting, yet healthy meal that you can set and forget to serve for a simple and nourishing dinner. The balsamic flavor is subtle but delicious, and the chicken is cooked to perfection with crispy skin, and fall of the bone tenderness.
The Ingredients for the Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Bone in chicken thighs. Slow cooker meals often have the critique of the meat just being super tender and not having any other dimension, but this recipe has the best of both worlds with crispy chicken skin and tender meat! The chicken is seared in a pan first which creates crispy skin and cuts down on the cooking time. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs, but you’ll skip the searing in the pan and will likely have to cook the chicken longer in the slow cooker.
- Green beans. For AIP, you can either omit these altogether or add more carrots to bump up the veggies.
- Carrots and Sweet Potatoes. Love having these veggies as part of the dish!
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Dried Thyme.
- Avocado Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, and Chicken Broth.
- Fresh Parsley. For topping.
- Arrowroot Starch and Water. Optional to thicken the liquid.
How to make Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Thighs & Vegetables
- Step 1. Sear the chicken on the stove.
- Step 2. Add the chicken, vegetables, and seasonings to the slow cooker then toss to combine with broth, balsamic vinegar, and avocado oil.
- Step 3. Cook for 4.5-5 hours in the slow cooker.
- Step 4. If you want to thicken the sauce, add arrowroot starch and water to the slow cooker and allow to thicken.
- Step 5. Serve chicken over the vegetables with parsley and some of the cooking liquid!
How long does this stay fresh? How do you reheat it?
I keep this in the fridge for about 3 days! You can reheat it in a pot on the stove for a few minutes with some of the cooking liquid.
Can you make this recipe in the instant pot instead?
You can, but I prefer the slow cooker! To make it in the instant pot, sear the chicken as directed then pressure cook the rest of the recipe on high for about 20 minutes. The vegetables should be tender, and the chicken cooked through.
What can you serve with this recipe?
- Rice or quinoa is tolerated
- Cauliflower rice
- Side salad
You’ll also like…Print
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken & Vegetables
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 2 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Optional to thicken the liquid
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 tsp water
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Using a large, deep skillet, heat about 2 tbsp of avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken skin side down and sear for 4-6 minutes or until the skin is crisp and no longer sticks. Sear for another few minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the chicken to the base of the slow cooker. Add the vegetables and seasonings. Toss to combine and add the broth, balsamic vinegar, and avocado oil.
- Add the lid to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4.5-5 hours or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce, combine the arrowroot and water and pour it into the slow cooker. Stir and allow to thicken over 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken over the vegetables with parsley and spoon over some of the cooking liquid.
You can also use boneless skin-less chicken thighs, but you’ll skip the searing in the pan and will likely have to cook the chicken longer in the slow cooker.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: slow cooker
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 21.9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 34.8
Keywords: slow cooker balsamic chicken, balsamic chicken thighs
HI, would you adjust the time for boneless chicken thighs?
I would skip the searing in the pan and you will likely have to cook the chicken longer in the slow cooker.
This sounds really good. Do you think it would work in an instant pot.
Made this tonight with some extra veggies. I left out the green beans (even before I was AIP I was not fond of them), and added onions, brussels sprouts, and mushrooms. I also used purple sweet potatoes because that is what I had on hand. It came out so colorful, and so warming, and delicious.