This slow cooker beef bourguignon is a French classic made simple. It’s made without white flour and is paleo-friendly.
- 4 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 1/2 cup red wine, (see notes for AIP)
- 1 cup white sweet potato, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (sub nightshade free for AIP)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Using a large, deep skillet, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Reserve the fat in the pan.
- Add the stew meat to the pan and lightly brown on each side. Remove from the pan and add to the slow cooker.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape any browned bits off the pan, stirring it into the wine. Allow the wine to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine to the slow cooker along with the sweet potato, carrots, mushrooms, garlic and pearl onions. Pour 3 1/2 cups of beef broth, tomato paste, and seasonings (reserving the parsley) into the slow cooker and stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker the slow cooker to low and allow to cook for 7 1/2 hours. To thicken the broth, use a small bowl to whisk together ½ cup of beef broth and 2 tbsp of arrowroot starch. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and cook on low for another half an hour.
- Remove the lid and discard the bay leaf.
- Spoon the beef bourguignon into serving bowls with a side of mashed white sweet potato. Top with chopped parsley to serve.
Though alcohol is not AIP compliant, cooking wine allows the alcohol to cook off. If you still choose to forgo the wine, just substitute for broth.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 341
- Fat: 15.3g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 35.2g