This turkey shepherd’s pie is a comforting, healthy and nourishing dish! It’s paleo, whole30, and can be made AIP-friendly.
- 2 lbs white sweet potato, peeled and chopped (sub potato if tolerated or orange sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (sub nomato sauce for AIP)
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 3 tsp thyme, divided
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Fill a large pot of water two-thirds of the way with water and bring to a low boil. Add the sweet potato to the water and boil under fork tender. Strain and use a potato masher to mash with the coconut milk until fully mashed and creamy. Lightly salt and set aside.
- Using a large oven safe skillet heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until lightly translucent.
- Add the garlic, carrots, and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes to lightly soften. Set aside.
- Add the turkey to the skillet and crumble with a wooden spoon, cooking until browned.
- Add the vegetables back to the skillet and pour in the broth, tomato paste, coconut aminos, and seasonings (reserving some thyme). Stir well to coat and bring to a low simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Top the turkey filling with the mashed sweet potato, evenly distributing. Lightly brush the top with avocado oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
- Serve topped with additional thyme.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main Dishes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 432
- Fat: 17.8g
- Carbohydrates: 47.8g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 22.6g