For the cauliflower ricotta (sub 1 container of Kite Hill ricotta if tolerated)
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, steamed
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 egg (omit for AIP)
For the roll-ups
- 2 large zucchinis
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 24 oz jar of pasta sauce (sub 4 cups of nomato sauce for AIP)
- 1 cup dairy-free mozzarella cheese, shredded (use this for AIP)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
For the cauliflower ricotta
- Using a nut milk bag or paper towel, lightly strain the cauliflower to draw out some (but not all) of the excess water.
- Add the cauliflower to a food processor and blend with 2 tbsp of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Using a small saute pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on low heat.
- Saute the garlic for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add the spinach and allow to wilt over 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the spinach and garlic into the cauliflower mixture with one egg and set aside.
For the roll-ups
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Wash the zucchini and slice off the ends. Use a mandolin slicer or peeler to slice into thin slices, about 1/8th of an inch. The zucchini should be thin enough to easily bend, but not enough to break. Lightly salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes and dab with a paper towel to remove some excess water. Set aside.
- Using a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is slightly translucent. Add the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Crumble until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Pour in the jar of pasta sauce (or nomato sauce) and stir to combine with the ground turkey mixture. Allow simmering for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Using a large surface, begin making the roll-ups by slightly overlapping two pieces of zucchini. Spoon a large spoonful of the ricotta and spinach mixture over the zucchini and spread evenly. Roll into a tight roll and repeat for all of the zucchini. Once finished, add the zucchini roll-ups to the pan of meat sauce, lightly covering some of the roll-ups with meat sauce and mozzarella.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Remove from the oven and top with herbs.
All nutritional facts are estimates and will vary.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One-Pan
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 24.6g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 35.5g