For the shredded beef
- 1 1/2 lb beef stew meat
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- Juice of one lime
For the tacos
- Set the beef at bottom of the slow cooker (or instant pot) and add the garlic, onion, and seasonings and mix well to evenly coat the meat. Pour in the broth and lime juice.
- Cover the slow cooker and set it to high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, and in the instant pot on high pressure for one hour, until the meat is cooked through and easily shreds with a fork.
- Remove the bay leaves from the slow cooker. Allow cooling slightly before carefully shredding the meat with two forks. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the tortillas to the parchment paper. Add 1-2 large spoonfuls of the cooked shredded beef to half of one of the tortillas. Carefully fold over. Repeat with all of the tortillas. Brush with oil and add a baking sheet on top of the tortillas, to keep them folded.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and carefully remove the baking sheet on top. Bake for another 3-5 minutes to crisp the top of the tortillas.
- Remove from the oven and top tacos with lettuce, pickled onion, guacamole and cilantro. Serve with extra guacamole on the side for dipping.
If using cassava tortillas, you may need extra bake time to crisp.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 9.1g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 30.2g