Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes
These gluten free chocolate lava cakes are what dreams are made of! They’re made with dairy free chocolate and come out looking and tasting just like the real deal.
If you’ve never had Lava Cake, it’s a small chocolate cake with a fudgy exterior and a liquid chocolate interior that flows out like lava when you cut into it! Valentine’s Day and Lava Cakes are a match made in heaven! Of course, you can eat lava cake at any time of year, and I have. They’re a staple for take out like pizza places, and on menus of chain restaurants.
This is recipe I’ve wanted to make for years, and I’ve finally got it down! My husband and I both love this gluten free version, and I think you will too!
Why you’ll love these Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Chocolate lava cake made gluten free! I love chocolate lava cake, it is a classic for a reason! And, I love being able to enjoy a gluten-free version that tastes delicious!
- Great Valentine’s Day Treat! A classic for this holiday, but also great all year long!
The Ingredients for Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips.
- Ghee. You can sub coconut oil or even butter if tolerated.
- Coconut Sugar and Maple Syrup.
- Eggs and Eggs Yolk.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Almond Flour. I haven’t tried this, but if you need to make this nut free you should be able to sub oat flour or cassava flour for the almond flour because it is such a small amount.
- Arrowroot Starch. You should be able to use tapioca starch instead as well.
- Powdered Sugar and Berries. Delicious for serving!
How to make Gluten Free Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Step One. Melt the chocolate and ghee.
- Step Two. Whisk in the coconut sugar and maple syrup then add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla, then add the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Step Three. Pour the batter into the ramekins or muffing tin and bake.
- Step Four. Allow to cool and then serve with powered sugar, berries, whipped cream or ice cream.
Tips & Tricks
- Watch the cook time! I like my lava cake a little bit more cooked through rather than just straight liquid, so I tend to cook it a bit longer. But starting at the 8 minute mark, you definitely want to turn on your oven light to catch the right texture that you’ll love!
- Add extra flavor. Espresso powder or mint chocolate with both be a great addition to this recipe!
Can you make this recipe without eggs?
I’ve actually tried many times to make an egg free lava cake, and it’s never come out the way I’ve wanted it. There are recipes for egg free lava cake out there, but this particular recipe depends on the eggs.
Can you make this recipe nut free?
Though I haven’t tried it, you should be able to swap in oat flour or cassava flour for the almond flour since it’s such a small amount in the recipe overall!
You’ll also like…
- Chocolate Strawberry Crunch Bites
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Gummies
- The Best Paleo Chocolate Cake
- 4 oz dairy free chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp ghee (sub coconut oil, or even butter if tolerated)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- Pinch of Salt
- Powdered sugar and berries to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and spray a 6 section muffin tin well. Alternatively, you can use oven safe ramekins as well.
- Melt the chocolate and ghee using a double boiler method, or in the microwave in 20 second intervals until totally liquid. Allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk in the coconut sugar and maple syrup until fully combined. Add the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla and whisk again. Finally, add the almond flour, arrowroot starch and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased muffin tin or ramekins. Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes (time varies depending on the size of your vessel) or until the outside of the cake is cooked, but the inside is still jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Very carefully flip your lava cakes onto a clean plate or cutting board.
- Serve each lava cake separately topped with powered sugar if desired and with a side of berries, whipped cream or ice cream.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size: 1 mini lava cake
- Calories: 312
- Fat: 18.7g
- Carbohydrates: 31.1g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5.3g