Pumpkin Pie Bars with Cereal Crust (Paleo, AIP)
This post is a paid partnership with Lovebird Foods
These pumpkin pie bars are made with incredibly delicious cereal crust, and a creamy pumpkin filling for the perfect, easy pie! They’re paleo and AIP-friendly.
Pumpkin Pie Bars with Cereal Crust
It’s not the holidays without pumpkin pie! We all love the convenience of a storebought pie crust, but things can get a bit more complicated when you’re avoiding grains, gluten, and dairy. It may sound daunting to make a grain-free pie crust from scratch, but I have the best trick for you that’s not only easy, but it tastes absolutely amazing.
These pumpkin pie bars with cereal crust are simple to make, are made with wholesome ingredients and will satisfy your craving for pumpkin pie! They’re paleo, AIP, and free of refined sugar.
The Ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie Bars with Cereal Crust
- Pumpkin Puree. You can use canned pumpkin puree for this recipe.
- Coconut cream. Simply set a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, or use canned coconut cream.
- Maple syrup. You can also use honey, but I find that maple syrup is best flavorwise.
- Lovebird Cereal Lovebird cereal is a gamechanger! This o-shaped cereal is paleo, AIP, totally grain-free, and made with wholesome ingredients like cassava and collagen! It’s organic, free of refined sugar, and if you haven’t tried it yet, you’re going to absolutely love it. You can eat it by itself with milk just like traditional cereal, or you can use it in recipes just like this one to make a cereal crust! Use the code UNBOUNDWELLNESS for 10% off!!
How to make Pumpkin Pie Bars with Cereal Crust
- Blend the cereal. Using a food processor, blend the cereal until it’s finely crumbled and no large pieces remain.
- Prepare the crust and bake. Add the cereal to a bowl and stir in the maple syrup, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Press the crust mixture into the baking pan and transfer to the oven. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Prep the filling. Prepare the filling by combining the pumpkin puree, coconut cream, maple syrup, spices, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl along with the gelatin egg.
- Add the filling to the crust and set. Pour the filling over the crust, using a rubber spatula to evenly spread. Transfer to the fridge and allow to harden over 3-4 hours.
- Slice into 9 even slices and serve!
How long can you keep these bars in the fridge? Can you freeze them?
These will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the fridge. I haven’t tried to freeze them, but it should work as long as you allow them to defrost in the fridge overnight.
Can you use different flavors of the Lovebird cereal for this crust?
You can! Though I developed this recipe with unsweetened cereal, any one of the flavors will work!
Can you use sweet potato puree instead of pumpkin puree?
You can! Either sweet potato or pumpkin will work in this recipe.Print
For the crust
- 4 cups unsweetened lovebird cereal
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the filling
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 8×8″ baking pan with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, blend the cereal until it’s finely crumbled and no large pieces remain.
- Add the cereal to a bowl and stir in the maple syrup, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Press the crust mixture into the baking pan and transfer to the oven. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until lightly golden and firm. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Prepare the filling by combining the pumpkin puree, coconut cream, maple syrup, spices, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Prepare the gelatin egg by pouring the water in a small saucepan and sprinkling the gelatin over. Allow to sit and harden. Transfer to the stove and heat on low for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is liquid. Remove from the heat and vigorously whisk until frothy. Add to the filling mixture immediately and stir to combine.
- Pour the filling over the crust, using a rubber spatula to evenly spread.
- Transfer to the fridge and allow to harden over 3-4 hours. Slice into 9 even slices and serve topped with additional coconut cream if desired.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25