Butternut Squash Lasagna Soup (gluten & dairy free)
This butternut squash lasagna soup is the coziest autumn soup that also happens to be tomato-free! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and can be modified to be AIP.
Lasagna soup is one of those must-make soups for fall! I’ve made a few different versions of it, but as someone with a nightshade intolerance and tomato-free, I’ve struggled to make one that’s truly satisfying. This butternut lasagna soup is the answer to your problems! It’s like lasagna soup a makeover for fall, and she’s better than ever.
Why you’ll love this soup
- It screams fall! If you love fall, this is your soup. Seriously, not only is it, comforting but the roasted squash is the star of the show.
- It’s simple to make. Nothing really fancy here, it’s pretty straightforward to make this one.
The Ingredients for Butternut Lasagna Soup
- Ground chicken. You can also use ground turkey.
- Butternut squash. This recipe uses roasted butternut squash for extra flavor!
- Broth and white wine vinegar.
- Thyme, sage, and parsley.
- Gluten-free lasagna sheets. I use jovial lasagna sheets, but you can use any pasta shape as well as cassava pasta to make it AIP.
- Dairy-free cheese. I use Kite Hill Ricotta cheese, but you can omit this altogether and just use nutritional yeast for that cheesy flavor.
How to make butternut lasagna soup
- Step one. Roast the butternut squash.
- Step two. Brown the ground chicken, onion and garlic.
- Step three. Add the broth and puree the butternut squash into the broth.
- Step four. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pot along with the broken lasagna noodles. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the lasagna noodles are soft.
- Step five. Serve topped with crispy sage and cheese if desired!
Tips & Tricks
- If meal prepping this soup for later, keep the pasta separate. This recipe is perfect for serving for dinner once you make it, but if you’re meal prepping, cook the lasagna separately and add it to serve. The pasta will soak up the broth as it sits!
- Add extra greens. I prefer the soup to be super squash-forward, but both spinach and kale would be a great addition to this soup.
How to make this recipe AIP
- Omit the DF cheese and use nutritional yeast instead
- Use cassava pasta instead of brown rice pasta
You’ll also love…Print
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt & pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 lb ground chicken (sub-ground turkey)
- 2 tsp dried thyme, divided
- 2 tsp dried sage, divided
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 yellow onion, diced fine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 gluten-free lasagna noodles, broken
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the butternut squash in half, lengthwise, and spoon out the seeds. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the flesh and season with salt and pepper. Place flesh side down on the baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Set aside once cooked.
- While the squash cooks set a large Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. Add the olive oil and ground chicken. Season with 1 tsp each of thyme, sage and parsley. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Crumble the ground chicken until browned. Set aside, reserving some fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes or until lightly translucent. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Pour the broth into the pot along with the white wine vinegar. Spoon the cooked butternut squash into the pot, along with 1 tsp each of thyme and sage. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup with until smooth.
- Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pot along with the broken lasagna noodles. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the lasagna noodles are soft.
- Serve topped with crispy sage and cheese if desired!
To make this recipe AIP, omit the ricotta and add 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast to the soup for a cheesy flavor!
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian Inspired
Keywords: lasagna soup