Dairy Free Queso Chili
This dairy-free queso chili is a hearty chili made with added dairy-free cheese sauce for a flavorful meal! It’s packed with vegetables and can easily be made nightshade free.
What is Queso Chili?
I first became familiar with the idea of Queso Chili from this Tiktok. It’s exactly what it sounds like… chili with queso mixed in! How can you go wrong?
Of course, the original version isn’t really a food intolerance-friendly dish, so I decided to make my own version with a nightshade-free chili, and dairy-free cheese sauce. It’s packed with vegetables and is all-around hearty and delicious!
Why You’ll Love this Queso Chili
- It tastes cheesy and savory. Seriously, it tastes like a hug in a bowl. Savory, creamy, and cheesy! My husband is a big cheese guy. He generally dislikes dairy-free cheese alternatives, but he loved this chili!
- It’s super nutrient dense. I use beef bone broth to up the nutrients as well as grass-fed beef. Plus, if you’re making the AIP and Dairy-free version from the recipes that I have linked, this recipe also features veggies hidden like onion, garlic, beets, carrots, celery, and sweet potato!
The Ingredients for Queso Chili
- Ground Beef. I love simple ground beef for an easy and cost effective protein.
- Salt, Pepper, Dried Oregano, Dried Cilantro, Chili Powder, and Cumin. These seasonings bring out the flavor! You can omit the chili powder and cumin for AIP.
- Yellow Onion, Garlic, and Sweet Potato. Not only do these add great flavor, they also are very nutrient dense!
- Beef Bone Broth.
- Canned Diced Tomato with Juice. You can sub this nightshade-free sauce for AIP.
- Lime and Coconut Aminos.
- Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce. I love my recipe for this dairy-free cheese sauce!! It’s nut free.
- Fresh Cilantro and Avocado. Delicious for topping!
How to make Queso Chili
- Step One. Brown the ground beef and season with salt, pepper, and herbs. Set aside.
- Step Two. Saute the onion and garlic and add the sweet potato to saute.
- Step Three. Add the ground beef back with the broth, tomato (or nightshade-free version), lime juice and coconut aminos.
- Step Four. Bring to a boil and reduce to a medium simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Step Five. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese sauce and stir to combine.
- Step Six. Serve the chili topped with chopped cilantro and avocado along with other toppings as desired.
Can you make it spicy?
Yes! I make mine nightshade-free, but just add a can of chopped green chilis to make it spicy.
Can you freeze the queso chili?
You can! Freeze it for 2-3 months and reheat it on the stove.
You’ll also like…Print
Dairy Free Queso Chili
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional, omit for AIP)
- 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups beef bone broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomato with juice (sub this nightshade-free sauce for AIP)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 cup dairy-free cheese sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Avocado for garnish
- Using a large cast iron pot or stock pot, brown the ground beef and season with salt, pepper, herbs, and cumin. Crumble until cooked through and set aside, leaving about 2 tbsp of fat in the pot.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and saute on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the sweet potato to the pot and saute for another 4-5 minutes to soften.
- Return the ground beef to the pot and add the broth, tomato (or nightshade-free version), lime juice and coconut aminos. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the chili to a medium simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the chili is thick and flavorful.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese sauce. Stir to combine until fully incorporated and creamy.
- Serve the chili topped with chopped cilantro and avocado along with other toppings as desired.
To make the chili spicy/non-AIP, you can add a can of chopped green chilis, or chili powder to your liking.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 408
- Fat: 18.3g
- Carbohydrates: 26.5g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Protein: 37.4g
Keywords: queso chili
Hi, I plan on making this but would like to know which dairy free Cheese you recommend? I’ve tried different ones before and they taste bad.
I recommend my recipe for dairy-free cheese sauce! https://unboundwellness.com/dairy-free-cheese-sauce-no-cashews/
Yum! New tontje intantpot world and wondering what the instant pot directions be on this recipe?
It’s better on the stove as the queso is added right at the end. I haven’t made the chili in the instant pot but you probably can!
Very easy and yummy. I may have added a little to much queso but still good. Perfect for the cold days coming.