Gluten Free Chicken Chow Mein
This gluten-free chicken chow mein is the perfect yummy dish to make on a weeknight! It’s made with gluten-free noodles, and can easily be made grain free.
There’s nothing more comforting than a big bowl of noodles! Seriously, put any sauce on some noodles, and I’m there.
Chow mein is a classic noodle dish made with veggies, protein, and a delicious sauce. This version is an allergen-friendly take on the classic made gluten-free and soy-free!
Why you’ll love this gluten-free chow mein
- It tastes like takeout! This recipe taste just like takeout, but with allergen-friendly ingredients!
- It’s simple to make. This recipe comes together quickly with easy-to-prep ingredients.
The ingredients for gluten-free chow mein
- Chicken Broth, Coconut Aminos, Sesame Oil, Rice Vinegar, Fish Sause, Coconut Sugar, and Arrowroot Starch. These ingredients make the sauce!
- Gluten-Free Spaghetti Noodles. You can sub grain-free noodles.
- Avocado Oil, Salt, and Pepper.
- Chicken Breast.
- Green Cabbage, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, and Green Onions. You can definitely mix up or add more veggies! Bok choy, snap peas, and broccoli would all be great additions to this recipe.
How to make gluten-free chow mein
- Step One. Make the sauce and set aside.
- Step Two. Cook the spaghetti.
- Step Three. Brown the chicken and set aside.
- Step Four. Add the vegetables to the pan and saute.
- Step Five. Add the cooked chicken and the cooked noodles.
- Step Six. Add the sauce and mix.
- Step Seven. Serve fresh in bowls.
Tips & tricks
- Cook the noodles al dente. The noodles will still cook a bit with the sauce, so you don’t want to overcook them.
- Mix up the veggies. Bok choy, snap peas, and broccoli would all be great additions to this recipe.
What noodles should you use for gluten-free chow mein?
Traditionally, you would use chow mein noodles for this dish. However, to keep it simple and gluten-free, spaghetti will work in a pinch, though it’s not traditional!
Can you use different proteins?
Shrimp would pair perfectly in this dish as well!
You’ll also like…Print
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar for AIP/grain-free)
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
For the chow mein
- 12 oz gluten-free spaghetti noodles (sub grain-free noodles)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped into 1” pieces
- Whisk the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Strain and lightly coat in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Using a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and lightly season. Stir fry for 4 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the vegetables. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until the cabbage is wilted and the carrots are soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the chicken back to the pan, as well as the cooked noodles. Pour the sauce into the pan and stir to coat until the sauce is thick and coating the noodles well.
- Serve fresh in bowls.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 605
- Fat: 14.8g
- Carbohydrates: 78g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 37.6g