Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry
This lemon chicken & vegetable stir fry is a take on traditional Chinese Lemon chicken. This version is gluten-free, soy-free, paleo and AIP.
What is Chinese Lemon Chicken?
Chinese lemon chicken is chicken that’s dredged with cornstarch, fried in a pan, and coated in a sticky and delicious lemon-flavored sauce. It can be served with a side of vegetables or rice and topped with sesame seeds and lemon slices.
I love making gluten and soy-free version of lemon chicken, and wound up simplifying my process even more by adding vegetables to the sauce as well to make the perfect one-pan meal. It’s gluten-free, paleo, AIP, and so simple to make.
The Ingredients for the Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry
- Chicken Broth, Coconut Aminos, and Coconut Sugar. These ingredients in addition to lemon juice are the main ingredients for the lemon chicken sauce.
- Lemon Juice. For a shortcut, you can use jarred lemon juice.
- Avocado Oil.
- Carrots, Zucchini, and Broccoli. I like these vegetables, but snap peas, cauliflower, bok choy, and green beans would also be great!
- Salt, Pepper, Ginger Powder, and Garlic Powder.
- Arrowroot Starch. This helps thicken the sauce.
- Chicken Breast.
- Green Onion. For topping.
How to make Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry
- Step 1. Make the sauce and set aside.
- Step 2. Saute the vegetables.
- Step 3. Season the chicken and cook.
- Step 4. Add cooked vegetables and sauce to the chicken and simmer to thicken the sauce.
- Step 5. Serve topped with green onion over rice or cauliflower rice.
Tips & tricks for Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry
- Use jarred lemon juice in a pinch. Fresh lemon juice is better, but you can use the kind that comes in a glass jar in a pinch.
- Switch up the vegetables. Snap peas, cauliflower, bok choy, and green beans would also be great additions to this recipe.
Is lemon chicken healthy?
Some restaurant versions can be heavier on sugar, but this version is made with zero refined sugar and tons of vegetables!
Storage and reheating instructions
You can store this lemon chicken in glass in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheat it on the stove top.
What do you serve this lemon chicken stir fry with?
- Cauliflower rice
- A side salad
For the lemon chicken sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- Salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
For the stir fry
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thin
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- Salt & pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Prepare the sauce by combining in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables and saute for 6-7 minutes or until tender. Lightly season and set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, garlic powder and coat in the arrowroot starch. Add more avocado oil if needed to the pan and bring to medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the chicken is crisped.
- Add cooked vegetables and sauce to the pan and stir to coat. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. The chicken should be cooked through to 165 F and the sauce should be thick.
- Serve topped with green onion over rice or cauliflower rice.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 274
- Fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 17.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 27.2g