Mushroom chicken (Panda Express Copycat | Gluten Free)
This mushroom chicken is a panda express copycat made at home! This version is gluten-free, soy-free, and made with wholesome ingredients.
What is in Panda Express Mushroom Chicken?
Who doesn’t love a takeout fakeout? Panda express was always popular in my house growing up as a fast food choice, and their mushroom chicken has a lot of great flavors. It’s made with chicken, mushrooms, zucchini, and a light soy sauce-based sauce. Of course, with all fast food, it’s not necessarily made with the highest quality ingredients, and it definitely isn’t allergen-friendly.
This panda express mushroom chicken copycat tastes like the real deal, but it’s soy and gluten-free!
The Ingredients for Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Coconut Aminos, Garlic, Ginger, Honey, and White Wine Vinegar. These ingredients make the delicious sauce!
- Chicken Breast.
- Salt and Black Pepper. Omit pepper for AIP.
- Arrowroot Starch.
- Avocado Oil.
- Zucchini and White Mushrooms.
- Sesame Seeds. Omit for AIP.
How to make Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Gluten-Free
- Step One. Prepare the sauce and set it aside.
- Step Two. Add the cubed chicken to a bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper. Toss with arrowroot starch until coated.
- Step Three. Cook the chicken and set aside.
- Step Four. Saute the mushrooms and zucchini.
- Step Five. Add the chicken back to the pan along with the sauce. Stir until the sauce is thickened and coats the stir fry. Serve warm topped with sesame seeds.
What can you serve this recipe with?
This recipe is great to serve with a side of cauliflower rice, or steamed rice if you tolerate it.
Does this recipe freeze well?
Zucchini doesn’t really freeze well, so I’d skip the freezer for this one.
How long does it keep in the fridge? How do you reheat it?
You can keep this recipe for 3-4 days in the fridge. I like to reheat stir-fries on the stove for a few minutes or until warm.
You’ll also like…Print
Mushroom chicken (Panda Express Copycat | Gluten Free)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the stir fry
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided (omit for AIP)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half-moons
- 1 1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (omit for AIP)
- Whisk the ingredients for the sauce together and set aside.
- Add the cubed chicken to a bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper. Toss with arrowroot starch until coated.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and allow to sit for about 2-3 minutes on one side before turning. Saute for another 3-4 minutes or until tender. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the sauce. Stir until the sauce is thickened and coats the stir fry.
- Serve warm topped with sesame seeds.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 253
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Protein: 25.8g
Keywords: panda express mushroom chicken
Made this tonight and it was SOOOO good!! You are CRUSHING at the take out fake out!! My husband loved it. We both had two servings and I had already doubled the recipe, using over 2 lbs of chicken. And I’ll probably make it for next week’s meal prep.
So grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to indulge on the Chinese take out that was such a big part of my life.
Such a yummy week night recipe and I had every single ingredient already in the house. I love how tasty and easy to make your recipes are. You do a great job with every single copy cat take out recipe! Thank you for another winning dinner recipe!
Made this for lunch! I can’t believe how good it is! It’s better than Panda Express. I need to make more for dinner. Lol! This was so easy and quick to make. I miss eating Chinese food. Thank you for this recipe!
Thank you!! So glad you liked it!
My husband and I loved it. The sauce is so tasty and I’m sure our 18 month old with destroy this! Will be a go to because it is as so easy.
Yay, so glad!!
I made his the other night for my family. Everyone loved it! My husband asked to make it again soon….which I did a few nights later! This is definitely on our regular meal rotation. We love veggies, so I did add more vegetables than what is suggested. Thanks for a delicious recipe!
Thank you!! So glad your family loved it!
You are a life saver! I had chicken breasts in my fridge and 45 minutes to get dinner on the table and no idea what I was going to make. I went to your website under quick and easy and saw this and had all the ingredients. At this point, I just wanted something quick and that I had the ingredients for, but this recipe was so much more than that. We all loved it and it was incredibly flavorful and easy. Thank you for another delicious and nutritious meal!
I made this today and it was scrumptious. I didn’t have zucchini but I had a lot of Shitaki mushrooms that needed to get cooked. I can’t wait for my hubby to try it. I made the Mongolian beef last week too and it was amazing. I love your recipes! Ty