Mushroom chicken (Panda Express Copycat | Gluten Free)
This mushroom chicken is a panda express copycat made at home! This version is gluten-free, soy-free, and made with wholesome ingredients.
What is in Panda Express Mushroom Chicken?
Who doesn’t love a takeout fakeout? Panda express was always popular in my house growing up as a fast food choice, and their mushroom chicken has a lot of great flavors. It’s made with chicken, mushrooms, zucchini, and a light soy sauce-based sauce. Of course, with all fast food, it’s not necessarily made with the highest quality ingredients, and it definitely isn’t allergen-friendly.
This panda express mushroom chicken copycat tastes like the real deal, but it’s soy and gluten-free!
The Ingredients for Panda Express Mushroom Chicken
- Coconut Aminos, Garlic, Ginger, Honey, and White Wine Vinegar. These ingredients make the delicious sauce!
- Chicken Breast.
- Salt and Black Pepper. Omit pepper for AIP.
- Arrowroot Starch.
- Avocado Oil.
- Zucchini and White Mushrooms.
- Sesame Seeds. Omit for AIP.
How to make Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Gluten-Free
- Step One. Prepare the sauce and set it aside.
- Step Two. Add the cubed chicken to a bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper. Toss with arrowroot starch until coated.
- Step Three. Cook the chicken and set aside.
- Step Four. Saute the mushrooms and zucchini.
- Step Five. Add the chicken back to the pan along with the sauce. Stir until the sauce is thickened and coats the stir fry. Serve warm topped with sesame seeds.
What can you serve this recipe with?
This recipe is great to serve with a side of cauliflower rice, or steamed rice if you tolerate it.
Does this recipe freeze well?
Zucchini doesn’t really freeze well, so I’d skip the freezer for this one.
How long does it keep in the fridge? How do you reheat it?
You can keep this recipe for 3-4 days in the fridge. I like to reheat stir-fries on the stove for a few minutes or until warm.
You’ll also like…Print
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the stir fry
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided (omit for AIP)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced into half-moons
- 1 1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (omit for AIP)
- Whisk the ingredients for the sauce together and set aside.
- Add the cubed chicken to a bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper. Toss with arrowroot starch until coated.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and allow to sit for about 2-3 minutes on one side before turning. Saute for another 3-4 minutes or until tender. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the sauce. Stir until the sauce is thickened and coats the stir fry.
- Serve warm topped with sesame seeds.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 253
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7g
- Protein: 25.8g
Keywords: panda express mushroom chicken