Slow Cooker Applesauce
This slow cooker applesauce is easy to make, and much more flavorful than store bought! It requires minimal ingredients, and minimal prep to have perfect applesauce.
Is it worth it to make homemade applesauce?
Applesauce seems like one of those no-brainer things to buy premade, but trust me… there’s nothing like fresh apple sauce! Not only does it smell amazing when it’s cooking, but you can control the level of sweetener, added flavor like cinnamon, and it’s just overall more rich and flavorful. It’s perfect for the winter holidays, or really anytime you want apple sauce.
The Ingredients for Homemade Slow Cooker Apple Sauce
- Apples. I like to use gala apples
- Coconut Sugar. I love being able to control the amount of sugar in homemade applesauce.
- Lemon, Water, and Apple Cider.
- Cinnamon Sticks. These add such great flavor to the applesauce.
How to make Applesauce in the Slow Cooker
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Add to the slow cooker. Add the apples to the base of the slow cooker and top with coconut sugar and lemon juice. Stir to toss and pour over the water and apple cider. Add the cinnamon sticks on top and place the lid on top of the slow cooker.
- Slow cook until soft.
- Mash. If a chunkier applesauce is preferred, mash it with a potato masher. If you prefer a smooth applesauce, allow to cool and blend in a food processor.
Is homemade applesauce healthier than store bought?
Healthy is always subjective, but I always find it much easier to control the level of sugar and the quality of ingredients in something homemade! Another plus with homemade is that it cuts down on waste from the packaging of store bought.
Can you make applesauce in the instant pot?
Yes, you still can, though the cooking time will be different. You’ll cook it on high for about 10 minutes instead.
How long does this apple sauce stay fresh?
You can keep this recipe in the fridge for 3-4 days and serve it cold.
You’ll also like…Print
- 6 gala apples
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Juice of a quarter lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Wash and peel the apples and chop them into slices.
- Add the apples to the base of the slow cooker and top with coconut sugar and lemon juice. Stir to toss and pour over the water and apple cider. Add the cinnamon sticks on top and place the lid on top of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours or until the apples are fully softened. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- If a chunkier applesauce is preferred, mash it with a potato masher. If you prefer a smooth applesauce, allow to cool and blend in a food processor.
If a less sweet applesauce is desired, you can half the coconut sugar.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Sides
- Method: slow cooker
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 140
- Fat: .4g
- Carbohydrates: 37.5g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: .7g
Keywords: slow cooker applesauce