Recently, I was looking back in my TimeHop app (which shows you throwbacks in your social media trail online) and I came across one of my earlier real food recipes… a veggie Asian noodle bowl. This was back in the day when I was still gluten-full, pretty much refused to eat any protein other than egg whites, and no other fats that margarine. Yikes. My saving grace was that I loved Asian flavors paired with fresh vegetables! Asian Noodle Bowls were my jam, along with tons of other Asian cuisine, and an Asian Veggie Noodle Bowl was just what I needed at the time.
Back when I made this years and years ago, it was ways different than what I would eat today. I still used a soy based sauce, I would sometimes use rice noodles, and my veggies looked like I chopped them with a lawn mower. Not to mention there may or may not have been Skippy peanut butter in some of them. I tried, okay? So I thought it needed a serious face lift!
This reimagined Asian Zucchini Noodle Bowl is fresh, super easy to make, full of flavor and packed with nutrient dense veggies!
Let’s Talk What You’ll Need To Make It…
Zucchini, Carrots, Cabbage, Cucumber, and Green Onion
These veggies are the star of the show in this veggie noodle bowl! They pair well together, and taste great in the bowl. You can indeed swap and add as needed, but I can’t guarantee you’ll get the same flavor results .
This bowl is both gluten free and soy free, which means that it uses coconut aminos. If you’ve never used it before, it’s basically a soy free, soy sauce made from coconut nectar. It’s very easy to find in health food stores, and has even started popping up in Trader Joe’s. This is the brand I like,
Before I had a spiralizer, I used to try and do it by hand… which was insane and clearly didn’t work. I used to have a hand crank spiralizer to turn my veggies into noodles and I hated it. It always left my veggies soggy and blah. I upgraded to this one, and I love it! Obviously, any one will work for this recipe, but that one in particular works great!
Asian Veggie Noodle BowlPrint
- 2 medium zucchini’s, spiralized
- 3/4 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped into half moons
- 2 sprigs green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or ginger powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place a pan on the stove and set to medium/low heat
- Melt the coconut oil in the pan
- Add the zucchini to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. You want the noodles to be lightly sautéed to aid digestion, but still crunchy
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- Once cooled, add the zucchini to a bowl and combine with the other veggie ingredients
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sauce ingredients with a whisk
- Pour the sauce over the noodle bowl and serve immediately