This bacon ranch sweet potato salad is the perfect summertime side dish! Serve it at picnics, barbecues, or just for a weeknight dinner. It’s paleo, AIP, and Whole30.
Cold potato salad is such a classic this time of year. I don’t think I can picture summer without it… until I wound up having to go nightshade free and ditch potatoes. Not only did that cut out endless other potato possibilities at the time, but the potato salad was completely off the table. I just couldn’t see myself having a potato salad without the star ingredient! However, once I discovered white sweet potatoes, I knew that sweet potato salad that could fool any regular potato eater was possible. And that’s where this Bacon Ranch Sweet Potato Salad was born!
Bacon and ranch is always a killer flavor combination, and it really shines in this potato salad. All of the ingredients are nutrient dense, homemade, and completely packed with flavor!
The Ingredients In The Bacon Ranch Sweet Potato Salad
White Sweet Potato
Something like Japanese Sweet Potato or Hannah Sweet Potato would work best for this recipe. I find both of these varieties at Natural Grocers and Whole Foods. They have great flavor and texture and are create the best potato salad look. However, if you can’t find white sweet potatoes, you can sub orange.
This is a more non-traditional potato salad ingredient, but it really gives the salad some extra crunch and freshness!
Wouldn’t be a bacon ranch potato salad without the bacon, right?
Homemade ranch (or compliant storebought)
Oh yeah, we’re doing this the right way! If you tolerate store bought ranch like Primal Kitchen, go for it, but with just a few extra steps, you can have delicious homemade ranch for this salad.
The main ingredients are mayo, coconut milk, parsley, dill, chives, onion, garlic, and apple cider vinegar.Print
For the potato salad
- 2 large white sweet potatoes, chopped (sub orange sweet potato)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 sprigs green onion, sliced
- 3-4 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup homemade ranch
For the ranch
- Combine all of the ingredients for the ranch in a large glass jar and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
- Bring a large pot filled two-thirds of the way with water to a low boil over medium heat on a stove top. Add the white sweet potato and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potato can be easily pierced with a fork. Carefully strain the excess water with a colander and allow the sweet potato to cool completely. Pat dry if needed, and chill for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
- Using a large bowl, combine the sweet potato, celery, bacon, and green onion and carefully mix with the ranch, adding 1/4 a cup at a time. Serve chilled with extra ranch on the side.
Like this recipe? Check these out!!