Black Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
This black pepper chicken stir fry is a Panda Express copycat made gluten and soy-free. It’s made with celery, chicken breast, onion, and a delicious sauce!
What is Black Pepper Chicken?
Black pepper chicken is a chicken dish made with lightly crisp chicken, celery, onion, and a strong black pepper sauce. It’s sticky, sweet, and peppery, and perfect to serve with a side of rice.
This version is a copycat of the Panda Express version made soy and gluten-free!
The Ingredients in Black Pepper Chicken
- Coconut Aminos, Chicken Broth, Honey, Rice Vinegar, Garlic, Salt, and Pepper. These ingredients make the delicious sauce!
- Avocado Oil.
- Celery and Onion.
- Arrowroot Starch.
- Green Onion.
How to make Black Pepper Chicken
- Step 1. Prepare the sauce and set aside.
- Step 2. Saute the vegetables.
- Step 3. Toss the chicken in the arrowroot starch and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4. Cook the chicken.
- Step 5. Reduce the heat to low and add the vegetables back to the pan along with the sauce. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken.
- Step 6. Serve topped with green onion and extra black pepper to taste.
Can you make this recipe AIP?
Since black pepper is the main ingredient, this dish doesn’t lend itself well to being AIP. You can easily make teriyaki chicken instead for something similar!
Storage and reheating instructions
If you make this dish ahead of time, store it in the fridge in glass for 2-3 days and reheat on the stove top on medium-low heat.
What can you serve black pepper chicken with?
- Cauliflower rice
- Steamed rice or brown rice
- Noodles like these
You’ll also like…Print
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2–3 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 celery stalks, sliced on a bias
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 lb chicken, cubed
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Prepare the sauce by combining the coconut aminos, broth, honey, vinegar, garlic, and half of the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat and add the celery and onion to the pan. Saute for 5-6 minutes until lightly tender. Season and set aside.
- Toss the chicken in the arrowroot starch and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until seared and lightly crisp.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the vegetables back to the pan along with the sauce. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken. The chicken should be cooked through and the sauce should be thick. Stir to coat the chicken and vegetables in the sauce.
- Serve topped with green onion and extra black pepper to taste.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 278
- Fat: 10.2g
- Carbohydrates: 19.5g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 26.4g