French Onion Spaghetti Squash Boats
These French onion spaghetti squash boats are a low-carb and veggie packed take on French onion pasta. This recipe is gluten-free, and can be modified to be dairy free if desired.
If you love French Onion Soup… same! French onion pasta has been trending online, and inspiration struck to make a totally grain-free version with spaghetti squash. It has all of the flavors you love from French Onion soup, but with tons of veggies and zero grains.
Why you’ll love this French onion spaghetti squash…
- It satisfies your pasta cravings. This tastes like a creamy, dreamy pasta dish but it’s totally grain free!
- It’s packed with nutrients. With two whole onions and spaghetti squash, this dish is nutrient packed with lots of veggies.
The Ingredients for French Onion Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Spaghetti Squash. This acts like pasta with zero grains and tons of nutrients!
- Avocado Oil, Salt, and Pepper. You can omit the pepper for AIP.
- Ghee. You can sub avocado oil.
- Onions. Two whole onions adds so much delicious flavor!!
- Coconut Aminos, White Wine Vinegar, and Beef Broth. This forms the French onion sauce!
- Gruyere Cheese. If you eat cheese, load it up for the delicious cheesy-ness. But it is still delicious without the cheese or with dairy-free cheese!
- Fresh thyme. For topping!
How to make French Onion Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Step One. Prep and cook the spaghetti squash.
- Step Two. Heat the ghee in a large pan and saute the onions until soft and caramelized.
- Step Three. Add the garlic to the pan and saute with vinegar, broth, and coconut aminos.
- Step Four. Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and allow to cool slightly before adding the onion mixture to the inside of the spaghetti squash.
- Step Five. Top with cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Step Six. Serve topped with fresh thyme and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Heat the spaghetti squash before cutting. The best trick for cutting spaghetti squash is microwaving for a few minutes and letting it cool. This helps to soften the shell.
- Add extra cheese. If you eat dairy, the more cheese the better with recipes like this! Provolone would be another great addition.
You can store this recipe in the fridge for 2-3 days. I prefer to discard the spaghetti squash shells to save space!
Can you add protein to this recipe?
Here are some great options to add to dish to bulk it up a bit more…
- Cooked shredded chicken
How to make this recipe dairy free
To make it dairy-free, either use dairy-free cheese or omit the cheese altogether and add a spoonful of coconut cream and a pinch of nutritional yeast to the french onion mixture for that creamy feel!
You’ll also love…
French Onion Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 tbsp ghee (sub avocado oil)
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated (see notes for dairy-free)
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle the flesh with avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the baking sheet, flesh side down and poke the skin with a fork a few times. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until softened.
- While the spaghetti squash cooks, heat the ghee in a large pan on low heat and add the onions. Saute on low for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Add salt at the 10-minute mark and continue to cook for another 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the onions are soft and caramelized.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute for a few minutes before adding vinegar, broth, coconut aminos and more salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven and allow to cool slightly before flipping. Use a fork to pull at the strands of the spaghetti squash. Add the onion mixture to the inside of the spaghetti squash and stir well.
- Top with cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with fresh thyme.
To make dairy-free, either use dairy-free cheese or omit the cheese altogether and add a spoonful of coconut cream and a pinch of nutritional yeast to the French onion mixture for that creamy feel!
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Global
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 194
- Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 15.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6.8g
Keywords: french onion spaghetti squash