Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Biscottis
These gluten-free chocolate chip biscottis are perfectly crisp and delicious! They’re paleo, egg-free, and dairy-free.
My husband loves crunchy everything! Biscotti are the ultimate cookie for him. I can’t believe I’ve never made biscotti at home before, but they were so perfectly crispy and delicious.
This version is gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free. They’re made with almond flour, which makes them grain-free and helps them stay perfectly crisp.
The Ingredients for the Gluten-Free Biscotti
- Ground Flaxseed and Water. This flax egg keeps this recipe egg-free.
- Coconut Sugar. This is the sweetener used in this recipe.
- Coconut Oil.
- Almond Flour and Arrowroot Starch.
- Baking Powder. I like this one!
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips. I love chocolate chips in this recipe, but it would be delicious to mix it up with dried cranberries or chocolate drizzle on top!
How to make Gluten Free Biscotti
- Make the flax egg.
- Add the coconut sugar and coconut oil to the flax mixture.
- Pour dry ingredient into the wet ingredients and stir until a dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into a log and bake in the oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool.
- Slice the loaf into long slices and return to the oven to bake.
- Allow to cool before enjoying!
Tips & tricks
- Watch the baking time. We like these cookies really crisp, so they’re rather crunchy. If you want it less crunchy, cook it for less time on the second bake.
- Add flavoring to make it your own! Biscottis are great with a chocolate drizzle, or even with something like dried cranberries in the dough or on top. You can even add crushed candy cane for a peppermint version.
Are biscotti cookies supposed to be hard and crunchy?
Yes! This cookie is supposed to be hard and crisp. It’s not a soft, chewy cookie. These are particularly crisp with the almond flour, and also because my husband just loves crispy cookies! You can reduce how crispy they are by cooking them for less time on the second bake, but we love it crispy.
What do you serve biscotti cookies with?
These are perfect to dip in coffee or even hot chocolate or tea!
Store these in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze them for up to a month.
You’ll also like…Print
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder (I use this one)
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Combine the ground flax with the water in a bowl and mix well. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the coconut sugar and coconut oil to the flax mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, and salt into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until a dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the dough to the baking sheet and form into a log that’s about 4” wide by 9” long and a little under 1″ thick. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- It should be lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool in the fridge for about an hour.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 250 F. Add the log to a cutting board and slice it into several long 1″ slices. Return the slices to the baking sheet, cut side up. Return to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes before flipping and baking for another 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before enjoying!
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 141
- Fat: 14.2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5.7g
Keywords: gluten free biscotti