Healthy Sweet Potato Nachos
These sweet potato nachos are the perfect grain-free, veggie-packed meal! They’re made without dairy, and with lots of nutrient-dense ingredients.
What are Sweet Potato Nachos?
Sweet potato nachos are definitely not traditional nachos, but a grain-free take on a classic! They’re made with oven-baked sweet potato in place of chips, and loaded with lots of toppings for the perfect nacho-inspired dish. This version is gluten-free, and can easily be made paleo and AIP-friendly!
The Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Nachos
- Sweet Potato. The star of the show! I like to use garnet or jewel sweet potatoes for this recipe, but you can also use Hannah sweet potato.
- Ground Beef. You can also use other proteins of your choice like chicken or turkey.
- Black Beans. Omit this ingredient for paleo or AIP.
- Red Onion.
- Radish. Radishes add a bit of a peppery flavor and some added freshness!
More optional sweet potato nacho toppings-
- Shredded lettuce
- Pinto beans
- Sour cream or yogurt
- Cheese or dairy-free cheese (if tolerated)
- Diced tomato
- Diced peppers
How to make sweet potato nachos
- Step One. Slice the sweet potato into 1/4″ slices.
- Step Two. Bake the sweet potato until cooked through.
- Step Three. Brown the ground beef and season.
- Step Four. Assemble the nachos by laying out the sweet potato and topping with beef, and toppings of your choice.
Tips & tricks for sweet potato nachos
- Choose a round sweet potato. Try to pick out sweet potatoes that are round in circumference to make better chips!
- Cut your sweet potato into uniform slices. This helps to ensure that the sweet potato cooks evenly. Using a mandolin slicer is the best way to achieve uniform cuts, but you can also use a knife.
- Cook the sweet potato to your liking. I prefer to keep the sweet potato a bit soft rather than crisp it up like a chip. You can do it either way!
- Mix up the toppings. You can go with as many or as few as you like!
Are sweet potato nachos healthy?
Healthy is always a subjective term, but considering that these nachos are packed with fiber and healthy fats, we’d call them healthy!
Can you make these sweet potato nachos vegetarian?
You can definitely omit the beef and just use beans.
Can you make sweet potato nachos with ground turkey instead?
Yes! You can easily use ground turkey, or shredded chicken in place of ground beef.
How do you store and reheat these sweet potato nachos?
I like to store these in the fridge without any toppings and reheat in the oven at 400 F for about 5 minutes. Add toppings and you’re good to go!
Healthy Sweet Potato Nachos
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and washed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1–2 radishes, sliced
- 1/4 cup black beans, cooked (omit for AIP/paleo)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp black olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchemnt paper.
- Using a mandolin slicer, or a knife, slice the sweet potato into uniform rounds, about 1/4″ thick. Add to the baking sheet, evenly spacing.
- Brush the sweet potato with avocado oil and season. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through until the sweet potato is cooked to your liking. Set aside.
- While the sweet potato cooks, brown the ground beef over medium heat in a pan and season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, cilantro, and oregano. Crumble until cooked through and drain some of the excess fat.
- Assemble the nachos by laying out the sweet potato and topping with beef, and toppings of your choice.
Add taco seasoning to the beef if nightshades are tolerated.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Main Dishes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 384
- Fat: 20.1g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Protein: 28.6g
Keywords: sweet potato nachos