Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
This slow cooker chicken cacciatore is and easy, classic dinner. It can easily be adapted to be a freezer meal and is gluten-free, whole30, paleo, and adaptable for AIP.
What is Chicken Cacciatore?
Chicken cacciatore is a comforting dish that can be super nourishing as well! It’s a traditional Italian chicken dish made with mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, and herbs.
Chicken cacciatore is usually cooked in a large skillet on a stovetop, but this version is made in the slow cooker for ease! The slow cooker helps to easily develop the flavors and makes this a simple set it and forget meal.
Typically, this is a main dish served with pasta or rice, but as it’s so vegetable dense, you can easily get away with eating it as a one-pan meal. However, you can also serve it with a side of your choice like zucchini noodles.
How to make Chicken Cacciatore in the Slow Cooker
- Add the chicken: Add to the bottom of the slow cooker and season well with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the vegetables and liquids: Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms over the chicken and mix well. Pour the broth and tomato over the top of the chicken and mushrooms and mix well to combine.
- Cook: Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. The chicken should be cooked through to 165 F. Season the dish with capers, parsley, and basil along with additional salt and pepper to taste.
How to adapt this recipe for the freezer
This recipe makes an awesome freezer meal! Simply add all of the ingredients (reserving the capers and fresh herbs until you’re ready to cook) to a large, gallon size freezer bag and lay it flat in the freezer. Store it frozen for around 2 months and thaw it completely when you’re ready to cook it.
Two things to note… never refreeze previously frozen chicken and always make sure that your meat is totally defrosted before cooking in the slow cooker.
Can you make this recipe in the instant pot?
I haven’t tried it, and I think that if you’re making it a freezer meal, it definitely works better in the slow cooker. However, you likely should be able to use the poultry setting on the instant pot to cook this.
The Ingredients for this Recipe
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs have the most flavor!
Carrots and mushrooms (and bell pepper)
I didn’t use bell pepper, but you can use 1 chopped red bell pepper if you tolerate it.
Diced tomato and chicken broth
You can also use nomato sauce for AIP.
You’ll also love…
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups diced tomato with juice (sub nomato sauce for AIP)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1–2 tsp capers (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker and season well with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms over the chicken and mix well.
- Pour the broth and tomato over the top of the chicken and mushooms and mix well to combine.
- Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. The chicken should be cooked through to 165 F.
- Season the dish with capers, parsley, and basil along with additional salt and pepper to taste.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 217
- Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 31.5g