Slow Cooker Coconut Turmeric Curry Chicken
This slow cooker turmeric chicken curry is an easy weeknight meal that’s packed with veggies, protein, and nutrients! It’s paleo, gluten-free, and can be made AIP.
Who doesn’t love a slow cooker meal on a busy evening? Even as someone who loves cooking, sometimes I just want to add everything to a slow cooker and let it do the work for me. That’s exactly what this recipe does! It doesn’t require any pre-cooking or fancy steps. Simply chop and add to the slow cooker for the perfect meal that’s filled with flavor, protein, and lots of vegetables and nutrients! It’s made with lots of vegetables as well as turmeric and ginger for a big nutrient boost that your body will thank you for.
The Ingredients for Slow Cooker Turmeric Curry Chicken
- Chicken Breast. Chicken thigh will also work.
- Coconut Milk. I use native forest simple canned coconut milk! You’ll want to stick with something full fat to get all of the flavor, creaminess, and healthy fat for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth, Lime Juice, Coconut Aminos, Turmeric, Salt, Pepper, Ginger, and Garlic. These ingredient combine with the coconut milk to make the sauce.
- Sweet Potato, Yellow Onion, Carrots, and Green Peas. I love the taste of these veggies plus the nutrients! Omit the green peas for AIP.
- Coconut Oil.
- Cilantro and Lime Wedges. Optional for serving!
How to make Slow Cooker Coconut Turmeric Curry Chicken
- Step One. Combine the coconut milk mixture.
- Step Two. Add everything to the slow cooker and toss.
- Step Three. Place the lid on the slow cooker and set it on high for 4 hours. At the last 20-30 minutes, add the green peas and toss.
- Step Four. Remove the lid from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly before spooning the chicken and vegetables into a bowl with a side of your choice, also spooning over some of the cooking liquid. Serve topped with cilantro and lime juice.
Can you make this recipe in the instant pot instead?
I tend to prefer the slow cooker for recipes like this, but you can also make it in the instant pot. To make in the instant pot, I would lightly saute both the chicken and vegetables ahead of time and then cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
Can you cook the recipe on low instead of high?
You can cook the recipe on low for 6-8 hours, but I find the vegetables are cooked more evenly when cooked on high.
What do you serve this slow cooker turmeric chicken curry with?
- Cooked lentils
- White or brown rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Naan or sweet potato flatbread
You’ll also like…
- Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin and Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup green peas (omit for AIP)
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Combine the coconut milk, broth, lime juice, and coconut aminos, turmeric, and seasonings in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the chicken, vegetables and coconut oil to the slow cooker and toss. Pour the coconut milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set it on high for 4 hours. At the last 20-30 minutes, add the green peas and toss.
- Remove the lid from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly before spooning the chicken and vegetables into a bowl with a side of your choice, also spooning over some of the cooking liquid. Serve topped with cilantro and lime juice.
As an optional ingredient, you can add 1-3 tsp yellow curry paste to this recipe. I keep it nightshade free with just the turmeric, but curry paste would be a great addition!
If you’re omitting the peas for AIP, swap out chopped kale instead!
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 415
- Fat: 21.7g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 29.7g