No Bake Berry Vanilla Ice Cream Cake (Gluten and Dairy Free)
Thank you to Cosmic Bliss for partnering on this post! All opinions are my own.
This gluten and dairy-free ice cream cake is the perfect no-bake dessert. It’s a berry, vanilla, coconut, and date flavored cake that’s made with simple ingredients, and Cosmic Bliss Plant-Based Frozen Dessert.
Ice cream cake is one of those things that I never thought I’d be able to have again after going gluten and dairy-free. In my mind, ice cream cakes were made with pretty processed ingredients, food dyes, and not-so-great-for-you ingredients. It seemed like it would be a lot of effort to clean it up, but I tried my hand at a no-bake ice cream cake, and boy… are you in for a treat! This is SO simple to make, but it seems like you got it from a fancy bakery!
What I love about this cake
- It’s no bake. That’s right! No making cookies, a sheet cake, or even buying store-bought cookies to make a cookie crust. This crust still tastes like a cookie, but it’s made with just two ingredients.
- It’s gorgeous! The fresh berries really take this cake to the next level. Serve this at a party, and your friends and family are going to be super impressed with your decorating skills, even though it was super simple for you to do.
- It’s made with my favorite ice cream. I am thrilled to be partnering with Cosmic Bliss to bring you this cake! Back at my last office job before I left to do Unbound Wellness, I actually kept Cosmic Bliss in the work freezer. That’s how much I love it!
The Ingredients for the No Bake Ice Cream Cake
- Dates. I like to use Medjool dates to make the crust. Buying them with the pits help to keep them juicy, and the pits are easy to remove.
- Shredded coconut. This is the base for the crust.
- Cosmic Bliss plant-based Madagascan Vanilla Bean. Cosmic Bliss has been my favorite frozen treat for several years! They have the best plant-based product out there, and they even have grass-fed dairy ice cream now, too, if you tolerate dairy! I particularly love their Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate flavor, but for this recipe, we’re using another great flavor, Madagascan Vanilla Bean. I always buy Cosmic Bliss at Sprouts!
- Mixed berries. I used whole blueberries and raspberries, but you can also use sliced strawberries.
- Melted chocolate. This is an optional step, but you can melt some dairy-free chocolate chips to make a chocolate drizzle on top!
The tools you’ll need
- A food processor. This is the best way to make the crust.
- A loaf pan. I find it much easier to cut and form this cake in a loaf pan, but you can also use a smaller-sized cake pan if you prefer.
- Parchment paper. I use non-bleached parchment paper, and this is key for taking your cake out of the pan.
How to make Gluten & Dairy-free No Bake Ice Cream Cake
- Step One. Blend the dates and the coconut to make the crust.
- Step Two. Press the crust into the loaf pan by pressing it down with your hands. Spread to evenly disperse. Set aside.
- Step Three. Using a large bowl, combine the softened ice cream and berries by carefully folding with a silicone spatula, being careful not to crush the berries. Add to the loaf pan and flatten, adding toppings if desired.
- Step Four. Set in the freezer and slice to serve!
Tips & Tricks
- Use dates with the pit. Seriously, they’re much juicier and help the crust stick than already pitted dates!
- Allow the cake to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before removing it from the pan. You’ll have a really hard time getting it out of the pan and slicing it if it’s totally frozen.
How long does this cake last?
Obviously, it will melt at room temperature, but it’ll stay good in the freezer for up to a month! So if you have leftovers, just stash them in the freezer for the perfect midnight snack.
Can you use different ice cream flavors?
Cosmic Bliss has tons of awesome flavors, so you can for sure use other flavors! I just prefer vanilla and berries together for this particular recipe.Print
- 7–8 large Medjool dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 pint Cosmic Bliss Madagascan Vanilla Bean Frozen Dessert, soft
- 3/4 cup mixed berries (plus extra for topping)
- 2 tbsp melted dairy-free chocolate chips
- Prepare a 9×5″ loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper and setting aside.
- Pit the dates and discard the pit. If the dates are hard, soak in warm water for 5 minutes to soften. Drain the water.
- Combine the shredded coconut and pitted in a food processor and blend until fully combined.
- Press the crust into the loaf pan by pressing it down with your hands. Spread to evenly disperse. Set aside.
- Using a large bowl, combine the softened ice cream and berries by carefully folding with a silicone spatula, being careful not to crush the berries.
- Add the ice cream mixture to the loaf pan and press down with the silicone spatula to flatten. Top the ice cream with more fresh berries and drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Transfer to the freezer and allow to harden for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Allow it to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before carefully removing it from the loaf pan and transferring it to a cutting board. Slice and serve cold.
- Prep Time: 20
- Category: Dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: global
Keywords: gluten free ice cream cake