Sweet Potato Hashbrown Waffles
These sweet potato hashbrown waffles are a simple and delicious breakfast side made without any gluten, dairy, or eggs! They’re paleo, vegan, and AIP.
If you love the idea of savory waffles, this is the breakfast recipe for you! These sweet potato hashbrown waffles aren’t so much traditional “waffles” seeing as they aren’t made with a batter. Rather, they’re made with a simple mixture of shredded sweet potato, making this recipe egg-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free!
Serve these hashbrowns topped with some chives, herbs, ketchup, or any topping you like along side your favorite breakfast items like eggs or sausage.
The Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Hashbrown Waffles
- White Sweet Potato. I like hannah sweet potatoes best in this recipe, but other varieties should still work!
- Arrowroot Starch. This is needed for the waffle to bind.
- Coconut Oil. You can also use avocado oil.
- Salt and pepper. Omit pepper for AIP.
How to make Sweet Potato Hashbrowns in the Waffle Iron
- Combine the shredded sweet potato mixture.
- Heat the waffle iron and spoon the sweet potato mixture on it to cook. Use a spatula or large ladle to scoop half of the sweet potato mixture onto the waffle iron and press down to evenly flatten. Close the waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Once crisp, carefully use tongs to remove the waffle. Repeat with the other half of the sweet potato.
Can you use different varieties of sweet potatoes?
I find that hannah sweet potatoes work best as they’re less sweet and more starchy, but other varieties should still work!
Can you use another oil other than coconut oil?
Yes, you can also use avocado oil!
Can you make these without the arrowroot starch?
I haven’t been able to make them bind quite as well without the arrowroot starch.
What do you serve the sweet potato hashbrown waffles with?
- Hot sauce
- Main breakfast items of your choice (like sausage or eggs)
You’ll also like…
- 12 oz white sweet potato, shredded
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- Pat the shredded sweet potato dry to remove any excess water (if needed) and combine with the arrowroot starch, coconut oil, and salt and pepper. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium-low heat and grease well. Use a spatula or large ladle to scoop half of the sweet potato mixture onto the waffle iron (I use a 10″ waffle iron) and press down to evenly flatten. Close the waffle iron and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Once crisp, carefully use tongs to remove the waffle and set it aside. Repeat with the other half of the sweet potato.
- Serve warm topped with toppings of your choice, or as a side at breakfast.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 6.8g
- Carbohydrates: 44.8g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 2.7g
Keywords: sweet potato hashbrown waffles