Would you believe me if I said that I’ve never made my own apple pie from scratch? It’s true! I don’t know what held me back back when I ate gluten, but it’s certainly not for lack of loving apple desserts during the holidays. But let’s be honest… it can be lot of work to make a grain free pie crust from scratch, especially when you’re already making an entire Thanksgiving dinner. So when I was craving a paleo and AIP apple dessert to make this holiday season, my mind went straight to a paleo apple crisp!
Apple crisp has all of the flavor and nostalgia of an apple pie, but it’s much easier, and equally as delicious in it’s own right. This crisp is full of healthy fat, easy to use ingredients, and a tart and sweet flavor! I shared this with my parents who get a lot less of my grain free creations, and they loved it none the less!
The Ingredients You’ll Need For The Paleo Apple Crisp
Granny smith apples
I find granny smith apples to work best for this recipe as they’re a good balance of tart and sweet. You can
Shredded coconut, coconut flour and tapioca starch
These help form the base and body of the actual crisp. You can sub arrowroot for tapioca starch, but this particular recipe cannot be made coconut free.
Coconut oil helps act as a binder for the crust. I haven’t tried any other fats, but I assume that lard or butter could also be a good option if you tolerate them.
Seeing as these apples are tart, you have to add a little sweetness with the maple syrup. You can also easily sub honey if that’s what you have on hand.
Lemon helps add a bit more kick to the tartness of the apples and make this whole dessert even more delicious!
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, softened (also known as coconut mana)
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven for 375 F and prepare and 8×8″ baking sheet
- Prepare the apples by chopping into large square pieces, discarding the core. Pour the apples into a bowl and combine with 2 tbsp coconut oil, cinnamon and the juice of half a lemon. Scoop the apples into the baking dish and set aside
- Make the crisp by combining the shredded coconut, coconut flour, and tapioca starch and mixing well. Add in 1/3 cup of coconut oil, the coconut butter, maple syrup and mix well.
- Using your hands, evenly spread out the crisp mixture onto the apples, pushing down to spread out.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the crisp is golden brown.
- Serve by itself or with compliant ice cream
- Serving Size: 5-6
That’s all there is to it for this yummy little dessert! It’s so perfect for the holidays, and oh so addictive! I couldn’t stop eating it when I first tried it, and I’m sure that all of your guests will love it too. This recipe serves roughly 5-6, but it varies but how heavy handed your guests are 😉
I hope you enjoy your holiday meal, and be sure to tag me on Instagram if you try this yummy little crisp!