Slow Cooker Golden Chickpea and Veggie Soup
This slow cooker golden chickpea and veggie soup is the perfect easy vegetarian option! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and nightshade free.
I’ve gotten a lot of requests to add some vegetarian recipes to my website, and as my own diet has evolved, I’m happy to oblige! I’m personally still a meat eater, but I do love a meal with canned beans and lots of veggies as a way to save money.
This chickpea veggie soup is the perfect way to save both time, and money!
Why you’ll love this Chickpea Veggie Soup
- It’s packed full of veggies! While I eat meat, I love a recipes full of vegetables and nutrients and this soup definitely fits the bill!!
- It’s a budget friendly meal! I love a meal that uses canned beans and veggies for saving money!
The Ingredients for Slow Cooker Golden Chickpea and Veggie Soup
- Cauliflower Florets, Carrots, Sweet Potato, and Kale. All these veggies add delicious flavors and nutrients!
- Ground Turmeric, Ginger Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper.
- Coconut Milk. You can sub almond milk for a coconut-free option.
How to make Chickpea Veggie Soup
- Step One. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook.
- Step Two. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup for about 3-4 seconds.
- Step Three. Add the kale and coconut milk to the soup and stir well. Cook for about 10 more minutes, or until the kale is soft.
- Step Four. Enjoy!
HOW TO TURN THIS INTO A FREEZER MEAL.
This recipe is part of my annual freezer meal week here on the blog, which is inspired by my past postpartum freezer prep journey! Here’s all you have to do…
- Add all of the ingredients for the soup (reserving the milk and kale) to a freezer bag.
- Freeze flat in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When ready to cook, transfer to the fridge and place it in a large container (like a casserole dish or a large bowl in case it leaks at all) to defrost.
- Once the food is totally thawed, cook as directed.
How to make this recipe on the stove
You can easily make this recipe on the stove and simmer for about 35-45 min on low instead of slow cooking it.
Here are a few safety things to note about freezer meals…
- Never refreeze previously frozen food.
- Always wait until the meal is totally thawed before putting it in the slow cooker. This ensures that the food stays at a food-safe temperature.
Tips & Tricks
- Add extra veggies. Spinach would be a great addition to this recipe too!
- Switch up the milk. If you don’t like coconut, you can also use almond milk. I’ve tried both and they’re both yummy in this recipe.
You’ll also like…Print
Slow Cooker Golden chickpea and veggie soup
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 5 cups broth
- Juice of one large lemon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk (sub almond milk)
- 1 cup kale, destemmed and chopped
- Add the chickpeas, vegetables (reserving to kale), seasonings, broth, and lemon juice to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- About 10 minutes before the cook time is up, remove the lid from the slow cooker. Use an immersion blender to carefully (avoid burning yourself) puree the soup for about 3-4 seconds. You can also transfer about 1 cup of soup and allow it to cool before blending. Add it back to the soup. This makes a creamier base.
- Add the kale and coconut milk to the soup and stir well. Cook for about 10 more minutes, or until the kale is soft.
- Serve fresh or store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Method: Stovetop
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 16.9g
- Carbohydrates: 43.5g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Protein: 9.3g