Instant Pot Basil Zucchini Soup (Paleo, AIP, Whole 30)
Something that’s surprised me, and made me incredibly happy at the same time is how many people try and love my soup recipes. I always had the misconception that food blogs and social were really just for sharing sugar-y treats and fried comfort foods, and even though I love sharing those recipes too, my gut healing soups are incredibly close to my heart. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is… there’s always room for soup in every season! That’s why I’m sharing this fresh green Basil Zucchini soup that’s perfect for summer!
Why I Love Veggie Soups…
1. They’re easy to make.
Especially with this particular soup being made in the instant pot, these soups are such an easy way to get a meal done! Where as stews can take hours, these soups are easily done in under an hour.
2. They’re packed full of nutrients.
Soups always an easy way to get in tons of veggies and nutrients! You can easily fit way more veggies into a soup than you likely could on your plate, and mask certain vegetables for picky eaters. I remember never liking parsnips… until I tried them in a soup. Now, the rest is history.
Another favorite thing to do with soups that I always recommend is to add an extra drizzle of fat on top with something like coconut oil or olive oil. Not only does this make the soup more satiating, but these fats help us absorb the nutrients in the vegetables more easily.
And of course, bone broth! Bone broth is well known to promote gut health and is the traditional way to prepare broth. Don’t cheat yourself by buying broth from a carton… make the real stuff.
3. The nutrients are easy to digest and absorb.
For those of us with serious gut issues, vegetables can be problematic. Fiber is hard to break down, and raw vegetables may be hard on the gut and the digestion. We can eat all of the vegetables we want, but if we’re not absorbing them, it doesn’t do much good. Cooking the vegetables in this soup well and pureeing them helps them to be more easily digested and absorbed!
- 3 cups of bone broth (chicken is more mild, but beef bone broth works as well
- 3 medium zucchinis, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Set the instant pot to sauté and pour in 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Add the zucchini and sauté for 4-5 minutes
- Next, add in the leeks and basil and sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Turn the instant pot off sauté
- Pour in the bone broth, lemon juice, and season with salt
- Stir to combine
- Put the lid on the instant pot and set the vent to close
- Set it to manual, high pressure for 8 minutes
- Allow the pressure to release naturally and remove the lid when ready
- Either using an immersion blender or a high speed blender, puree the soup
- To serve, top the soup with more olive oil and fresh basil if desired
- NOTE : If using a stove top, follow all instructions above, and adjust cook time of the soup to 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are soft
That’s all there is to it! I love using the instant pot this time of year as opposed to using the stove or the oven, so I can’t get enough of these easy summer recipes.
What I love about this summer soup is that it can easily be served luke warm and still taste fresh and delicious. The summer flavors make it so it doesn’t have to be pipping hot which is also incredibly welcome this time of year.
Enjoy this healing summer soup!