These chicken poppers are gluten free, paleo, AIP, and egg free, while still being delicious enough to fool anyone who regularly eats otherwise!
Sweet Potato Chicken Poppers Are the Healthy Comfort Food You’ve Been Looking For…
Let me tell you a story about a little girl who literally ate zero animal protein until she was about 20 that wasn’t in chicken nugget form. She was so unhealthy and out of touch with her bodies innate intelligence to eat real food that she would gag at any protein that wasn’t a nugget. She did not discriminate when it came to nuggets… dinosaur shaped, fast food, frozen, they were all Gucci. It wasn’t she grew up, was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and gut issues, and actually got a firm understanding of her health did she realize that those nuggets were not the best choice. So… clearly, I’m talking about myself here. Maybe dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets weren’t my friend then or now, but these chicken poppers are the real food, adult version of the chicken nuggets that I loved for years!
When I first made these and got a whiff of them cooking in the oven, it seriously smelled like any game day snack that you’d find in a sports bar or at any party. My mouth was water the second they came out of the oven! The smell, the texture, and the nostalgic feel that I was eating chicken nuggets make these little dudes the perfect healthy comfort food.
Here’s why they’re good for you…
- They’re veggie packed with green onion and sweet potato which provide vitamins, nutrients, and flavor
- These guys feature coconut flour which is a grain free, healthy flour, and coconut oil which is an amazing healthy fat
- They’re paleo and Whole 30 friendly, and even strict autoimmune protocol friendly for all of my fellow autoimmune healers out there!
Sweet Potato Chicken Poppers Are Perfect For…
Seriously, it makes these a great dish to bring along to your upcoming party, or super bowl Sunday gathering to ensure that you have something healthy to eat for yourself, while still having something delicious to share. Don’t be that guy that brings kale chips… be the guy that brings sweet potato chicken poppers 😉 These guys are perfect for…
- Party appetizers
- Super Bowl or game day snacks
- Finger food for picky eater kiddos
- Fun weeknight dinner
Plus, they are the perfect food for dipping! I may or may not have already nicknamed this “dippy chicken” (because I’m mature), but really… it’s the perfect size for finger food and tastes great dipped in a big bowl of AIP guacamole!
Feel free to use a different sauce that is compliant with your own needs, like maybe a clean buffalo sauce, or even a ranch dip. But rest assured that they go great with this guac!
I also have to shout out a similar recipe, chicken and zucchini poppers from One Lovely Life! These are another great option if you’re looking for something lower in starch.Print
- 1 lb ground chicken (uncooked)
- 2 cups uncooked sweet potato, finely grated (I used a wide cheese grated like this or you can use your food processor)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil + 1 tsp for greasing the baking sheet
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (I recommend this brand )
- 2-3 sprigs green onion, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Optional : 1 tsp paprika or chili powder (not AIP but adds a kick!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and lightly grease a lined baking sheet with coconut oil
- Take the raw sweet potato and squeeze it with a paper towel or cheese cloth to remove any excess liquid
- Then, combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and thoroughly combine
- Begin rolling the mixture into small, slightly flattened poppers about one inch in diameter (you’ll have about 20-25 poppers) and place them on the cooking sheet
- Place in the oven for 25-28 minutes, flipping half way through. Crisp further in a pan or place under the broiler if desired for 1-2 minutes to crisp further. Remove from the oven when thoroughly cooked through
- Allow to cool and serve with your favorite sauce! These are made for dipping so pair them with guacamole, ketchup, mustard, etc!
I hope you absolutely love these poppers are much as we do here at the Hoover household!