Unstuffed Cabbage Roll (Whole30 & Keto)
This unstuffed cabbage roll is an easy one-pan meal that’s filling and delicious! It’s paleo, keto, whole30, and AIP compliant.
What is Unstuffed Cabbage Roll?
Cabbage rolls are a delicious, comforting and traditional recipe made by rolling cabbage leaves around a ground beef and rice mixture with tomato sauce. Though the recipe is delicious, it can be a bit labor-intensive to roll the cabbage!I’m typically not a fan of most things that add an extra, unnecessary step. Yes, traditional cabbage rolls are fun, but do you really have to roll cabbage to get the cabbage roll experience? The answer is no! This recipe is everything you love about cabbage rolls but made into an easy one-pot meal. All of the same ingredients are used, but the recipe is simply made in one pot, so not rolling required.
This meal is made to be keto, paleo, whole30, and even AIP compliant. And the best part? It’s super cost-effective to make with low-cost ingredients like cabbage and ground beef!
- Use a large pot to saute the ground beef on medium heat and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Then add the riced cauliflower and saute.
- Reincorporate the ground beef along with broth, tomato sauce (or nightshade-free sauce), and cabbage.
- Place the lid on the pot and simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the cabbage to cook down. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to make this Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Keto
This recipe is naturally lower carb as it’s made with cauliflower rice, cabbage, and ground beef as the main ingredients. To make sure it stays keto, watch the tomato sauce you use for added sugars!
The Ingredients You Need For the One Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Roll
Cheaper than many other cuts of meat, and easy to find! Feel free to use ground beef with the fat content of your choice.
Green cabbage chopped and cored is much easier than the traditional rolling in my opinion! I like to use a large green cabbage for this recipe to stretch it even further.
Cabbage rolls typically have rice, but this dish uses cauliflower rice in its place. You can use a food processor to rice the cauliflower, or you can buy it pre-riced.
Onion and garlic
Traditional flavors in cabbage rolls.
I used a kettle and fire broth that I had on hand, but you can use homemade broth.
Tomato sauce (or nomato sauce)
I used a homemade nomato sauce as I’m intolerant to nightshades, but a good quality tomato sauce works if you can tolerate it.
You’ll also love…Print
This one pot cabbage roll is the perfect weeknight meal!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cauliflower, riced (using a food processor, or pre-riced)
- 1 large green cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce (sub nomato sauce for AIP )
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Using a large dutch oven, brown the ground beef on medium heat and lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove the beef and set aside, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Next, saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until translucent Add the riced cauliflower and saute for 5-8 minutes or until softened
- Add back in the ground beef as well as the broth, tomato sauce, cabbage slices, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine and coat the cabbage for a few minutes.
- Place the lid over the dutch oven and simmer on low for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so to allow cabbage to soften.
- Remove the lid and stir well, topping with parsley to serve.
All nutrition facts are estimations.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: global
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 271
- Fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 37.1g
Keywords: cabbage roll
Easy, delicious and so perfect for meal prep! Make a big batch over the weekend and have meals prepped for a few days. Enjoy!
This post was originally published in March of 2018 and has been updated with new instructions and a video.