This strawberry rhubarb crisp screams summertime! It’s packed with flavor and is a healthier paleo version a classic.
After I made my paleo apple crisp at Thanksgiving, I was already planning for this recipe in the summer. Strawberry rhubarb has always been a classic combination that’s intrigued me, but for some reason, I never tried it until this spring. And boy, was I missing out! The flavor is spot on for summer and sweetened by nature. Adding a crisp topping to the amazing flavor combination only makes it even more delicious in this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
Not only is the strawberry rhubarb to die for, but the crisp topping is on point. It’s basically just one big crispy cookie topping. Pinch me.
I could eat this all day long, but realistically, this is perfect for bringing to a summer gathering or serving at your own backyard BBQ. It’s paleo, AIP compliant, and much lower in sugar than other traditional recipes.
The Ingredients You’ll Need For the Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
The fresher the better!
Rhubard is hard to find any other time of year, but I’ve been seeing it in every grocery store! It’s a long, red stalk that will likely confuse the cashier, so be prepared 😉
Shredded coconut and coconut oil
This isn’t a coconut free recipe and I wouldn’t suggest subbing these out.
You can likely sub tapioca starch, though I haven’t tried it
You can also sub honey if you’re not vegan.Print
For the filing
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
For the crust
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare an 8×8″ baking dish
- Add the filling ingredients to the baking dish and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- For the crisp topping, combine the shredded coconut and the flours in a large mixing bowl. Stir in coconut oil and maple syrup.
- Use your hands to evenly spread out the crisp topping over the strawberry rhubarb filling.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until topping is crisped.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving by itself or with a compliant vanilla ice cream.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb crisp