Creamy Chicken Piccata (Dairy Free)
This chicken piccata is a creamy and dairy-free take on a classic! It’s made with a creamy lemon sauce and is also paleo and gluten-free.
What is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken piccata is an Italian dish made with chicken that’s dredged in flour, seared in a pan, and cooked with a white wine and lemon sauce along with garlic, capers, and fresh herbs. It’s lemony, and perfect to serve with pasta!
What I love about this chicken piccata
- It’s made in one pan. I love that about chicken piccata in general!
- The sauce is creamy. This version is creamier than a traditional chicken piccata, which is extra fun and decadent.
The Ingredients for Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Breast. You can either slice your chicken breast to make cutlets at home or buy cutlets at the store.
- Coconut Milk. This is an unconventional ingredient, but it’s used to make the sauce creamy. I use canned coconut milk from Native Forest.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and Shallots.
- White Wine Vinegar, Lemon, and Chicken Broth.
- Arrowroot Starch. For dredging the chicken.
- Olive Oil and Ghee. You can omit the ghee and add more olive oil for AIP.
- Parsley. Optional for topping.
How to make Creamy Chicken Piccata
- Step 1. Slice the chicken and dredge with arrowroot starch.
- Step 2. Sear the chicken in a pan. Set aside.
- Step 3. Melt the ghee and saute the garlic and shallots.
- Step 4. Pour in the broth, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, coconut milk and capers. Stir to combine and bring to a low simmer.
- Step 5. Add the chicken back and simmer until cooked trough.
- Step 6. Serve with sides of your choice.
Tips & tricks
- Add some of the sauce to the pasta! If you’re serving this with gluten-free pasta or a veggie noodle, don’t forget to add a spoonful of the piccata sauce.
- Add veggies by stirring in some spinach to wilt. It’s not traditional but a great way to add veggies.
- Use heavy cream instead of coconut milk if you tolerate dairy. So creamy and good!
What can you serve with chicken piccata?
- Gluten or grain-free pasta. I love spaghetti in particular with this dish.
- An Italian side salad
- Roasted broccoli or asparagus
- Garlic bread
- 1 lb chicken breast
- Salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 2 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee (omit for AIP and use more olive oil)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp capers
- 3–4 lemon slices
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Slice the chicken horizontally to make two thin cutlets from each chicken breast.
- Pat the chicken breast dry and add to a shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper and dredge with arrowroot starch until the chicken is coated.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the chicken breast. Sear for 3-4 minutes on each side, carefully rotating to brown the skin. Remove from the pan and set aside on a clean plate.
- Reduce the heat and add the ghee, allowing it to melt. Add the garlic and shallot and saute for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Pour in the broth, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, coconut milk and capers. Stir to combine and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken to the pan along with the lemon slices. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, basting in the sauce often, and rotating the chicken at least once. The chicken should be cooked through to 165 F and the sauce should be thick.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley, lemon slices, 2-3 spoonfuls of the sauce, and with sides of your choice.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian Inspired
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 16.5g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 27.1g