Instant Pot Mashed White Sweet Potato
These instant pot mashed white sweet potatoes are the closest thing to regular mashed potatoes that I’ve ever tried! They’re nightshade-free and easy to make.
Why you’ll love these instant pot mashed sweet potatoes
- It is so easy! This recipe requires minimal ingredients and is so easy using the instant pot.
- A great addition to a holiday dinner. This recipe is the perfect side for any holiday dinner this fall! The dish is gluten-free and dairy-free, but can also be made AIP.
The Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- White Sweet Potato. Either Hannah or Japanese sweet potatoes will work in the recipe. I find these at Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc.
- Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder. Omit pepper for AIP.
- Ghee. You can sub coconut oil for AIP.
- Coconut Milk. I like to use Native Forest “Simple” coconut milk.
- Fresh Chives. These are for topping the white sweet potatoes.
How to make instant pot mashed sweet potatoes
- Step One. Add the chopped sweet potatoes to the instant pot with water and seal.
- Step Two. Set instant pot and allow to cook. Release the pressure once cooked.
- Step Three. Add the remaining ingredients and mash together. Top with chopped chives.
Tips & Tricks
- Mash to your desired consistency. Leave them chunky or mash them smooth, it’s up to you!
- Add more or less seasoning. These are easy to dress up any way you want! Add roasted garlic, caramelized onion, bacon, etc.
Can you use orange sweet potatoes?
You can, but they don’t taste quite as much like regular mashed potatoes as these do. White sweet potatoes are less sweet and more starchy so they’re perfect to mimic regular potatoes.
Can you make these on the stovetop?
Yes, easily! You’ll just boil the potatoes in water until very fork tender, strain and mash as directed in the recipe. I prefer the instant pot method because it’s faster and a lot more hands-off.
You’ll also like…
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Streusel Topping
- Cheesy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Pan Fried Crispy White Sweet Potato
- 3 lbs white sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1″ cubes
- Salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp ghee (sub coconut oil for AIP)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of the instant pot along with a pinch of salt. Place the steamer basket over the water and add the chopped sweet potato. Add the lid to the instant pot and flip the vent to seal.
- Set the instant pot to manual, high pressure, 14 minutes. Immediately release the pressure once cooked
- Carefully remove the steamer basket, dumping the cooked sweet potato in a large bowl. Add the ghee, coconut milk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use a potato masher to mash to your desired consistency, adding more milk for creamier mashed potatoes.
- Season further to taste and serve with chopped chives.
- All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 47.5g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 4.5g