Japanese Clear Soup
This Japanese clear soup tastes just like what you would get from a hibachi restaurant, made at home! It’s a flavorful broth with added mushrooms and green onion for the perfect light appetizer.
What is Japanese Clear Soup?
Clear soup is a brothy soup that’s traditionally made with a vegetable or meat-based broth. This particular Japanese clear soup is also known as a mushroom soup with a clear broth. It’s made by simmering vegetables in a broth and removing it to leave a clear, but flavorful broth, before adding mushrooms and green onion.
You may be familiar with soup after getting it from a restaurant, and it’s so easy to make at home! This version is soy-free, gluten-free, and incredibly healthy and simple.
Why you’ll love this Japanese Clear Soup
- It’s super easy! The most work involved with this recipe is chopping the vegetables. The actual cooking process itself is super simple.
- It’s nostalgic. If you loved ordering this soup at restaurants, this recipe is for you!
The Ingredients for Japanese Clear Soup
- Sesame Oil. Sub coconut oil for AIP.
- Carrots, Onion, Button Mushrooms, Garlic, Scallions and Ginger. These all add such great nutrients and flavor!
- Salt and Pepper.
- Coconut Aminos.
- Chicken Broth and Beef Broth.
How to make Japanese Clear Soup
- Make the broth and simmer.
- Strain the vegetables leaving a clear broth.
- Add mushrooms and scallions.
- Serve and enjoy!
Is Japanese Clear Soup good for you?
This recipe is a super wholesome dish! It’s made with fresh vegetables for added nutrients and can be even more wholesome if bone broth is used instead of broth. Though it’s definitely not a main dish by itself, it’s the perfect light appetizer or side that’s easy to digest.
What do you serve with Japanese Clear Soup?
Storage and reheating instructions
Store the soup in a glass container in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheat it on the stove.
You’ll also love…
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (sub coconut oil for AIP)
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- Salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups beef broth
- 8 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Begin preparing the broth in a large pot by heating the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute for 8-10 minutes to allow the vegetables to soften.
- Pour the coconut aminos and broth over the vegetables and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover for an hour, stirring often.
- Carefully strain the vegetables from the broth and set aside, leaving a clear broth.
- Add the mushrooms and scallion and stir to combine. Simmer on low for 5-8 minutes to let the mushrooms soften.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 20.4g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 8.4g